Trying my hand at breeding

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jon Ala

Aquarium Advice Regular
So I purchased a 10 gallon tank and got a few fry from a guy because my cichlids don't want to mate yet. I figured I would go ahead and gain some experience before I had 20-30 on my hands. I bought 11 lab fry, and a few red empress and he threw in some auratus for some reason. Well see how it goes :)

Attachments

• image-2342425033.jpg
    image-2342425033.jpg
    149.9 KB · Views: 95
They're not going to breed in a 10g tank, they're going to kill each other due to lack individual territory. I'm confused at what your trying to do there?

Sorry if that was unclear, I bought a few fry to put in a 10g, and I'm going to raise them just to get a feel for raising fry because this is my first time, and I plan on breeding cichlids in the future. Mainly looking for thoughts, suggestions, from people with experience.

My current stock is in a 55, not in the 10 lol.

Attachments

• image-3090751231.jpg
    image-3090751231.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 93
Yea putting the auratus in with the yellow lab fry is not a good idea. Are the auratus fry also?

Yes they are smaller than the labs at the moment, i know when they get older ill have to move them somewhere else bc of aggression and what not. But I'm sure while they're still so small it shouldn't matter, right?

Yes they are smaller than the labs at the moment, i know when they get older ill have to move them somewhere else bc of aggression and what not. But I'm sure while they're still so small it shouldn't matter, right?

They won't be particularly douche-baggey at that age, no. Move the fry (not that those fish are really fry... they're past the fry stage) out of the 10 gallon when they double their current size or you might stunt them a little.

Okay cool ill do that, and move them to say a 20? Or what would you recommend? I'm afraid they'd be killed in with my 2"-3" cichlids

Just a joke:)

Curious though as to what your reasoning is to breed these fish in which you're a newcomer to owning?
It's not difficult to breed Africans as you'll discover in your 55g. Just be aware hybrids are possible and shouldn't make it out of your house.

The same reason why we all do this stuff, it's fun and rewarding and I've got a buyer lined up for future fry. Anything to pad the blow to my wallet. I am new to Africans but it's not rocket science so I should be ok. Hopefully I have enough general knowledge to make it work.

And I wouldn't sell any hybrids, even though every store in my state only has hybrids pretty much. As much as people hate it, the hobby is full of mutts.

Ok Jon,
I just had to confirm that you were a responsible Steward in the fish keeping hobby. I didn't want the fish police to throw the book at you down the stream.

Haha well thanks for keeping me honest, I've seen quite a few of those fish cops on this board.

Back
Top Bottom