Trying Saltwater Once More

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

willekach

Aquarium Advice Newbie
aquapicts.htm
Hi, looked thru the site and saw a lot of good posting and joined. I have a 100 gallon tank that will be my reef tank, VHO lighting Berlin method, approx 100lbs rock that has been in water no lighting and pretty much dead for at least a year and a protien skimmer. I had cancer and wasn't around much. I set it back up just over two weeks ago. PH 7.8, 0 ammonia, 0 nitrite, 70-80 nitrate. Just started seeing very small patches of green, pink coraline growth, lot more patches of brown growth. I use a Kalkwasser addition to my water replenisher and have been adding 4oz TLC once a week and Purpleup approx every other day. No fish or coral. Any other suggestions?

Last edited:
Welcome to the site! I would suggest you post in the SW getting started section.
Another suggestion, quit with the purple up. Start with PWCs to reduce your nitrAtes.
Once you get those nitrAtes down, you are ready to add livestock.

Last edited:
Don't have much advice besides to read over some of the articles the site has posted to help get you started but i thought i would say hello since I'm from daytona as well.

Welcome to the site, a lot of friendly knowledgable people here.

Water changes are the best thing you can do for you tank to get it back in shape. Additives are rarely needed definately quit the purple up. RO/DI water, a good salt mix, and lots of questions on this site and you'll be ready to rock n roll. Good luck

Weclome to AA and congratulations on winning your battle.

Is setting up the tank, did you use RODOI water or tap?
I'm trying to understand where your nitrates are coming from. Please test your source water and post those numbers too.

Please do not add any addtiives that you don't test for. There is nothing using calcium (coraline slighty) so no need for kalk or any other addtives yet.

Did you cycle this tank yet? Did you see a spike in ammonia followed by a fall and rise in nitrites, followed by a fall and a rise in nitrates?

If so then the tank is now cycled (2 weeks is rather fast) and you need to do a large PWC. Consider adding another 50 pounds of rock (base is ok) to increase it to 1½ pounds per gallons.

What is TLC?

Keep posting questions here.

Back
Top Bottom