Trying to convince my parents

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Ahhhhh, so if you hadn't gotten the gecko, you would be able to get the fish, correct?

What if you rehome the gecko?

Oh ok, my apologies then. I wasn't aware that you had the knowledge, I am glad to hear that. Maybe you should use that as your argument, that you have been researching for a year and that you are just waiting for the right sale to come about. And I mean if you were able to breed the GBR's then that also shows your ability. I don't see why they wouldn't let you.

Good luck though, i hope you get it.

I don't think they would let me rehome it but I could give it to my brother and take care of it for him. The original reason for the gecko was to save money and still keep occupied. The reason I got out of fish was because I bought a crappy light fixture when preparing for a nano reef and it almost caught my house on fire lol..

Oh my gosh, then I can see why your parents are so leery of this tank proposal. Fire in a home is one of the most frightening things you can face. Why don't you let them sit on it awhile. They have your reports. If you keep forcing the issue, they may not let you have anything at all.

They are fine with the whole fire thing now I showed them that I was truly sorry and that was before they said that I could have the nano. I explained the whole thing to them and they forgave me, it didn't actually catch on fire but my room smelled like it was about to. Btw, I would send thank you things to all of you but I'm on
The app so the best I can do is say it.. Soo thanks!

BfishLpond78 said:
Oh ok, my apologies then. I wasn't aware that you had the knowledge, I am glad to hear that. Maybe you should use that as your argument, that you have been researching for a year and that you are just waiting for the right sale to come about. And I mean if you were able to breed the GBR's then that also shows your ability. I don't see why they wouldn't let you.

Good luck though, i hope you get it.

thanks for the motivation, I really need it to get the guts to ask my mom..

The worst thing they can say is no...remember, you're young. When you're out on your own you can have anything you want. It's one of the great joys of getting older....the freedom to do whatever...lol

Haha I understand. Well, I asked them and they said give us some time to think about it which is quite an unusual thing for them to say. Thanks for all the help and maybe I'll be getting one soon!

They got back to me about it today and they said I could but I'm not allowed to have more than one tank in my bedroom, which is completely understandable. The catch is, I'm not allowed to sell the current tank. I'm not sure if this is a cruel joke or a riddle but I think I'll give it to someone and see how that goes. Any ideas?

I haven't read this thread except the first few posts so ignore this if it isn't relevant at this point. Instead of telling them why you should have this, have you asked why they feel you shouldn't? I don't mean be belligerent, but frankly if you have to provide a reason for you to have it, I think it is fair for them to provided their reasons for concern.

Otherwise you are being strung along. You can't reasonably be expected to respond to their concerns without truly knowing what those concerns are, IMO. Please don't go pick a fight with them based on this post, LOL.

Best of luck.

thanks for post, I asked them and made sure To not argue lol. They said that it was the weight they were worried about because I am on the top floor and a crack or a tank that is just too heavy would be catastrophic. They said that once we redo the basement, I will be able to have it down there. It should be around november when that happens. The pluses to having it down there are that there is not much of a limit to the size of the tank, and the temperature can be regulated easier. The cons, in my point of view, is that I won't see it as often, I wont be able to see it at night that often, and there will be exercise equipment with a rambunctious seven year old sister around it. I think the no size limit greatly outweighs the cons though :D

Another big upside to the downstairs thing is no direct sun light so hopefully no major algae bloom. Good for you, did you remember to thank them for answering your questions, parents love that kind of thing. :)

Back
Top Bottom