Trying to get female guppies but keep getting males

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

wildroseofky

Aquarium Advice Addict
I have bought what I was told were female guppies twice so far and each time they turn into males. I checked them before buying and they had rounded anal fins. I checked with the store owner and she said they were female. I asked her if they were old enough to be sure and was told yes. I checked them this morning and both of them had started to color up and develop their gonopodiums (spelling?) How can I be sure I am getting females next time? Or does someone know where I can get a few girls to breed? I tried Petland and they only had males. There is a Petsmart opening in that town next month. Does anyone know if they carry females? Anybody on here have girls for sale?

I have bought what I was told were female guppies twice so far and each time they turn into males. I checked them before buying and they had rounded anal fins. I checked with the store owner and she said they were female. I asked her if they were old enough to be sure and was told yes. I checked them this morning and both of them had started to color up and develop their gonopodiums (spelling?) How can I be sure I am getting females next time? Or does someone know where I can get a few girls to breed? I tried Petland and they only had males. There is a Petsmart opening in that town next month. Does anyone know if they carry females? Anybody on here have girls for sale?

Look on aquabid.

Hi Wildrose,

I bought several female guppies from Petsmart. They keep some females separate from the males. (Some looked pregnant in the store).

I bought 9 of them at $1.75 each. Sometimes they have guppies on sale for $1.00 each.

kitty2234

Are you sure you have males?
Guppies are pretty easy to sex. My females can color up from time to time. Can we get a picture?

Unless you're getting the guppy from a known trusted source, don't buy it unless the body is at least 1" long. That way you know they're at least 2 months old and can be assured of knowing the correct sex and coloration you want.

Having said that, yes, PetSmart keeps their female guppies separate from their males.

I do have have young females to sell but I don't ship during winter if I can help it, so I'm not much use to you right now. It's already below freezing here, sorry.

theres a lady on here named Shay and she sells beautiful guppys . send her a message

Here are some photos. The first two are the ones I thought were female but now appear to be male. The second one I am still not sure about so I have it isolated. Photos 3 and 4 are of the males I want to breed. The photos are not that great. They do not show the males colors that well. I will check at Petsmart and see what females they have. I tried aquabid but the prices were really high.

Attachments

• suspectfemalguppy1.jpg
    suspectfemalguppy1.jpg
    147.1 KB · Views: 71
  • suspectfemale2.jpg
    suspectfemale2.jpg
    191.3 KB · Views: 65
  • breedingmale.jpg
    breedingmale.jpg
    148 KB · Views: 73
  • breedingmale2.jpg
    breedingmale2.jpg
    120.6 KB · Views: 68
@wildroseofky - All of those pictures are male except the last one. Females will always have a dark abdomen even at birth those are eggs. My guppies have babies all the time and they are almost always female. You can see those little dark specs right on their abdomen those are always eggs they're always carrying eggs!! I can't get rid of my females I want males !!

The last multicolored guppy is a male. It is an endler/guppy mix. They always have spots. Sometimes one, sometimes two. The guppy in the second photo is definitely male also as of today. When I checked him earlier his gonodopodium has developed. So he is going into my males tank. I am going to check at Petsmart and with a few of the members here. I will make sure to only buy ones that are an inch long. The ones I bought were small. I wonder if it is too cold to ship? I temps have dropped drastically here. I have a bunch of snails I need to get rid of.

Back
Top Bottom