trying to get my planted tank started

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

John-Solo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, I have a 30 gallon freshwater tank. I just recently got a bunch of plants from a friends tank. he cut them from the stocks of the plants that hes had growing for a while. he told me that the stocks will grow new roots and i can just keep cutting them and replanting them. is this true? and if so is there a particular way I need to plant them? as of now I have rooting tablets in the gravel and iv been putting plant food in the tank about every other day with the plants just lightly planted in the gravel. I have pictures if you want to see the tank. Thanks

It would be nice if you can upload the pics. But you friend was right, I have seen it done a lot of time, when people are trimming their planted tanks. But before you cut and replant you have to ensure they are well established and mature.

What kind of plants did u get? Some plants can cut and replant but some can't. Fertilizer every other day is not necessary. Once a week should be good enough. Especially since u have root tabs.

Ok thats good to know. so im on the right track with the root tabs, plant food, and the end of the stock lightly planted?
78593-albums12467-picture56852.jpg
thats the best pic I have at the moment I can tack some closer ones of the plants if you'd like.

All the plants u have look great. :)

I'm pretty sure they can all be cut and replanted. I'm also pretty sure those plants don't need ferts. But ferts r always helpful so I would put in ferts once every week.

Awesome! thanks for your help. Iv loaded a video on youtube "30 gallon freshwater aquarium (Bolivian Ram, Neon Tetra)" under John1Solo, check it out. Ill be posting me videos as I make changed

What type of lighting and bulbs do you have? What brand of ferts are you using? The reason for the questions is lighting determines the type of plants you can grow. You have at least 1 higher light plant (the red one) which won't stay red unless certain tank conditions are met.

None of the plants you have are root feeders so you don't need root tabs. You do need to use a good fertilizer following the brands directions. I suggest using Seachem Flourish Comprehensive along with API Leaf Zone that adds iron and potassium. Stem plants, which is what you have, draw almost all their nutrients from the water.

Also what are you nitrate and phosphate readings? In a planted tank you want your nitrates at 10-20ppm and phosphates at .5-1.0ppm. Are you planning on using a liquid carbon such as Flourish Excel to aid in plant growth and photosynthesis?

I have a 20w florescent bulb, and Iv been using Aqueon Aquarium plant food "provides macro and micro nutrients required by FW plants" I put in about 10ml every other day (30gal tank) and a full 30ml once a week. the nitrates are right around the parameters you listed whats the phosphates? is that the NO2? if it is then thats around 0, ph is 7-7.5, KH is 120, and GH is 120. do you think I should move the other red plant to a better lit area of the tank?

Phosphates are PO4, NO2 are nitrites which are dangerous for fish

ya thats what i thought. I only have the dip strips to test my water right now, it dosnt look like they ave that reading. Im getting the API water master kit from amazon.

Good choice! They are much more accurate and are a way better price on amazon than I got them from my LFS :)

I have a 20w florescent bulb, and Iv been using Aqueon Aquarium plant food "provides macro and micro nutrients required by FW plants" I put in about 10ml every other day (30gal tank) and a full 30ml once a week. the nitrates are right around the parameters you listed whats the phosphates? is that the NO2? if it is then thats around 0, ph is 7-7.5, KH is 120, and GH is 120. do you think I should move the other red plant to a better lit area of the tank?

You have very low light and it will definitely not be enough to support the red plant. I can't really tell what plants you have but that light just isn't strong enough to support many types of plants.

I'm not familar with that plant food but as long as you follow directions you should be okay.

Phosphate test kits have to be bought seperately as they are not part of the Master test kit.

You have very low light and it will definitely not be enough to support the red plant. I can't really tell what plants you have but that light just isn't strong enough to support many types of plants.

I'm not familar with that plant food but as long as you follow directions you should be okay.

Phosphate test kits have to be bought seperately as they are not part of the Master test kit.

Yes I agree. I recommend at least 30-40 watts. But some plants can survive in 20 watts. I think one of the green plants u have is moneywort. They can survive on low/med light.

cool, I was planing on taking a trip to the store on thursday Ill pick up a new bulb and Ill probably get some of that fertilizer you suggested, I have noticed that the 2 red plants have been fading over the past few days. I would really like to get a clear plastic top and a nice light bar but Im a full time student on a major budget so thats going to have to wait.

Try to get a bulb for planted tanks. They usually say full spectrum Daylight. I usually get around 6,500K

Check the specs on your hood, don't exceed the recommended wattage.

Avoid Actinic or 50/50 they are Saltwater.

Welcome, your tank looks great, and most of those plants will do well one light you have. My only comment is the gravel, bright crazy colored gravel absorbs some of the important wavelengths and causes you to require more wattage for the same setup...

ok Ill get find a good full spectrum bulb. That makes a lot of sense about the gravel with light absorption (Peteostler43614). Iv been told I should have about 1w per gallon, so Ill look for a 35w planted tank bulb to account for the bright gravel.

ok Ill get find a good full spectrum bulb. That makes a lot of sense about the gravel with light absorption (Peteostler43614). Iv been told I should have about 1w per gallon, so Ill look for a 35w planted tank bulb to account for the bright gravel.

2 watts per gallon is better, if your fixture will handle it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom