Trying to get skirt tetras to get along...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CoyoteWildfire

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have a school of white and black skirt tetras in my 29 gallon tank. The two white skirts are female and the four black skirts are male. Near as I can tell, they're all quite territorial and fin-nipping each other. So much to the point that some of them are showing some minor symptoms of SBD, which I know can develop from being attacked.

I heard some things online that getting a more territorial fish, such as a dwarf gourami, might force them to school and get along. I don't mind if there's some aggression in my tank, but if they're hurting each other and making it hard to swim, I would like to know any options or tips I might have to help them get along.

I wouldn't mind a dwarf gourami in my community tank, if it means that it might get them to behave a little more pleasantly.

Any suggestions?

I don't necessarily agree with getting another fish... Here's why. I have 11 black skirts in my 125. They are together 90% of the time. They don't nip, they just swim all together in a nice little school. Occasionally one will pop out and go explorer around some plants or something. I'm sure many will disagree, but I think a 29g tank is a little on the small side for them. Mine are very active, and quite often swim the entire length of my tank (6') back and forth numerous times. They're never in the same spot. This may be adding to what you're seeing.

They're all active and floating around the tank, but reading up more on them does say they're nippy. I do see what you mean though, and duly noted. If possible though, I'd like taking them back to be the last thing I have to do.

Back
Top Bottom