Trying to Prevent Disaster

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Tank120

Aquarium Advice Freak
A couple of weeks ago, when I changed tank water, I noticed that it just didn't seem like the return was as powerful as it should/or was. I finished cleaning and filling the tank, and then cleaned the filter. The next water change it seemed to be doing even worse. I decided to clean the impelller. I took off the motor and disassembled the impeller. Then I gave every orifice in the filter, the impeller and the impeller housing a good cleaning. I put everything back together and it looked like I was getting better flow, but still not great. Finally, last week when I did my tank water change, the returns were barely flowing and when I held my my hand up against the intake, there was nothing. I took the filter apart and made sure that I had seated it properly and that the o-ring was still in place. Everything was fine. After taking it apart and putting back together again, it still was not working right. I called Hagen. The filter is supposed to have a three year warranty. She suggested all of the things, which of course I had already done. Finally, she asked me if I plugged in the motor while it was off the filter to see how the impeller was moving. Well, it was turning, but you could put your finger against it and hold it there with no problem. You could almost stop it with your finger. It was obvious that the motor was trying to go out.

I have to say that Hagen was very easy to work with and ready to stand behind their product. She sent me an e-mail with a file number and instructions on how to return the motor for replacement.

I packed it up. Followed her instructions and barely made it to the post office before they closed. I had the choice of sending it two day or overnight. Overnight ($48) or 2 day 15. I had to choose the two day. $48 was just too much.

That was late Wednesday afternoon, that means it didn't actually go out until Thursday. That puts delivery on Saturday and of course no one is there. That means they won't get to it until Monday and she had told me there was a 2 day turn around. I will probably not get the motor back until Thursday or Friday. In the mean time, I am testing and testing and changing as much water as I need to. It is killing my back, but I have to keep my fishies healthy. I have cut back on their food. I don't know what else to do? My ammonia this morning was .5, pH 7.4, no nitrites and negligible nitrates. I am using a decholorinator that has an ammonia neutralizer, when I fill it. The water is hazy. Both aerators are going full put.

I have also come to find out that the large pleco in the tank is the largest waste producer there is. He has all of a sudden started hanging out on the front glass. He is always in the midst of producing output. Yesterday, there was one that was about 13" and still going. I tried to suck some of it off, but it just made him mad.

I am I forgetting anything? What else can I do?

Sorry, this is disgusting, but I wanted to show you that I am not overstating Sucky"s waste output. I also wanted you to see how hazy the water is, even with the water changes. I can't believe my numbers aren't worse. :confused:

Attachments

• IMG_0101.jpg
    IMG_0101.jpg
    141.8 KB · Views: 89
Plecos are huge waste producers, which is one of the reasons they're not recommended as "cleaner" fish since they really just add to the cleaning people have to do. :hide:
Trying to help figure out what's going in your tank. You seem to be doing all the right things thus far. How big is the tank and what kind of fish are in it? What is the dechlorinator you're using?

Well, of course the biggest problem right now, is no filtration until my motor comes back. I would still think that the water would be clearer since I am doing daily water changes. Don't worry, Sucky is going back as soon as the weather is warm enough to get him back to the LFS. I am using Dr.s Foster and Smith de-chlorinizer with Ammonia remover. I can't tell you for sure what it is called, because the bottle started leaking and I had to put it into another container. All I am worried about right now is keeping my fish healthy until my motor comes back for my filter. At this point, all I can do is water changes and make sure that the water is well aerated.

Oh, all the fish are orandas of one type or another. There is a comet, which will be going to my daughter's MILs pond, when it is warm enough.

Of course your only concern right now is the health of your fish. I'm sorry if that didn't come through in my post. You're doing everything right, keeping up diligently with the water changes. The problem is that goldfish and plecos produce such a huge amount of waste that keeping up with it when there's no filtration is almost an exercise in futility. Is there a chance you could temporarily divide the fish into two separate tanks to take some of the strain off the bioload? Even if you have a Rubbermaid tote that you could temporarily at least put Sucky in, that would help a great deal. As hard as you're working--and I've been there in the same situation, bailing out 80% of my comet's water twice a day every day for week after desperate week--it's just an impossible situation. Until that motor arrives, the best advice I can offer is for you to move Sucky, if at all possible. He'll do better temporarily without filtration than the goldfish would and your toxin levels should at least lessen somewhat in the main tank with that large inhabitant removed from it. Otherwise, if that's not a possibility, do you have any Prime water conditioner, by any chance? It can be safely dosed up to 5 times the regular amount in an emergency and will bind toxins for 48 hours.

Your doing the best you can for now! Lots and lots of big wcs. Are you using a python or something similar? Makes life a bit easier with big wcs. I honestly would skip feeding them until your filter is back. Maybe a small veggie snack here and there but no actual fish food to help limit ammonia a bit.

One thing I would give serious consideration to is investing in another big filter. No such thing as over filtration on a goldfish tank and it's a safety net in the future in the event something similar happens again. In the meantime, lots of wcs!

Sucky's New House

I chased Sucky down. Boy is he fast! I expected him to be a challenge but he made sure it was as hard as possible. I took out all of the decorations and gave them a scrub down, before tackling Sucky. I knew it would be a lot easier to catch him without so much stuff in the way. Thank you Greta for recommending I remove him from the tank.

Thank you JLK for telling me at one time that a plastic container makes a wonderful quarantine tank. I bought a heavy Sterlite clear plastic container. It is probably 30 gallon, $6.95. I only have it about 3/4 of the way full. Siphoned half tank water and added half fresh. Threw some algae wafers in for him. I had a small aerator, so I used an algae clip to attach tubing to the inside of the container. Now, all I really need is to get an appropriately sized filter. The lid is partially attached on one side to keep the cats from fishing.:fish1:

Attachments

• Sucky 1-27-14 (2).jpg
    Sucky 1-27-14 (2).jpg
    162.9 KB · Views: 72
  • Sucky 1-27-14 (3).jpg
    Sucky 1-27-14 (3).jpg
    151.8 KB · Views: 79
  • Sucky 1-27-14 (4).jpg
    Sucky 1-27-14 (4).jpg
    135.9 KB · Views: 82
Great job! He really is BIG! Keep an eye on his numbers too to make sure things stay healthy for him until he can be rehomed. Keep up the good work on water changes! :)

He's a big, beautiful fish! I really hope the water changes are at least a little frequent with them separated but just keep testing like you've been doing. Keep up the great work--you're doing amazing!! :)

Okay, so I am going to have to trade Sucky in on a smaller variety of Pleco. Bristle nose (4-1/2") or Rubber (7"). From what I am reading, the Bristle Nose will breed in the right tank setting. Then the young have to be moved into a small tank and fed smashed peas. With the Bristle Nose being so small, I could probably have 3. With the Rubber only 1. Do you prefer one over the other? Apparently, Sucky is a variety that can get up to 1' 6". Although, when I bought him, he was the smallest in a huge tank. People put them in their ponds in the summer. I swear,there was one in there 3' long.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Sucky's water will be changed everyday, just like my big tank. Had to put weight on the lid. One of my cats went fishing.

I am going to call my LFS tomorrow, to see if he has any Bristle Nose or Rubbers in stock. I am also ordering a filter for a 30 gallon tank tonight.

I don't know enough about plecos to guide you here, I'm sorry. I do know the commons like yours eventually need 125 gallons of water because, as you saw, they can grow HUGE. Is the new filter for his temporary Rubbermaid tote? You are one dedicated fish owner! I really, really commend you for caring so much for your pets. :)

JLK had urged me some time ago that I needed to have something for quarantine, so that when I needed to treat a sick fish I didn't need to treat 120 gallons of water. She was also a little disappointed in me, that I added 2 new fish without quarantining first. I have also now learned that most LFS fish have parasites and should always go through treatment before being moved to your main tank. I learned that the hard way when my Lionhead developed 3 black spots and greenish black areas on his fins. JLK said he had flukes. I treated with the reco
product she recommended and within a few days it was all gone.

She was also the one who told me that a tote works just as well as an expensive tank for quarantine. So the filter is for Sucky but also my quarantine tank.

JLK's amazing. Everything I know about goldfish, I learned from her. Everything. My comets would not have survived the rough ride with this fish newbie if she hadn't guided me. The filter's a great idea, both for Sucky and for the purposes of future quarantine. :)

Thanks, guys (girls, lol)! I just want everyone to have happy, healthy fish! Try to help the best I can and if I can save anyone from some of my mistakes, I am a happy camper! :))

I had a pond for 10 or 12 years. Just filled it in last Spring. Totally on a large filter filter. One Summer it was like a hundred degrees for two weeks. Then we had a terrible storm come through. The electricity was off for two days. Without the waterfall running, I lost all of my fish, mostly Shubunkins and Comets and one huge beautiful orange fantail named Goldie. There were so many that were so friendly that they would actually come up to be stroked. We started with 4 fish and as we pulled out the dead ones, there were 45 and that is after we gave away fish and plants every Summer. The only few that survived were juveniles that didn't require as much oxygen. I will have to post pictures of the babies that I brought in one Winter and all the beauty fish I lost. Our insurance wouldn't cover the loss.

Like you, I have learned a lot from JLK!

Thanks JLK!

I also had saltwater tanks for several years, but the salt got too expensive. I gave all my fish and coral to my son-in-law.

I am fairly new to fancy goldfish, but I love my babies.

I got up this morning and my tank was so much clearer. Poor Sucky was the problem. His water was so nasty, I could barely see him. I immediately did a 75% water change and will do another 50% late this afternoon. The LFS doesn't open until 11:00. I will call them then and ask if they have the Bristle Nose or the Rubber Pleco.

Sent from my HTC first using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oh no!!! I am so sorry to hear about what happened with your pond! That is awful! :(
I think anyone that owns a pond (or a tank) will eventually run into something unexpected sooner or later. It may be the weather, the power, a filter, disease or predators or something else entirely different. I compare it to riding a horse- you get thrown off, you dust yourself off and get back on and learn from your mistake (even if it was one that was of not your volition) and decide the best way to move forward.

On the brighter side of things, your doing a great job with these guys and your wcs!! Hopefully, your filter will be back tomorrow! :)

Back
Top Bottom