Trying to stock 20 gallon tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dvanv

Aquarium Advice Regular
I would appreciate some help in stocking my 20 gallon long tank. I already have:
3 otos
3 long finned zebra danios trying to get 2-3 more....do regular zebra danios school with the long finned?

I like:
neons or cardinals
platys
panda cories
dwarf gourami

Any thoughts of how many or which ones to put together :?:
Any other suggestions?

Panda Cories should be in groups of five, minimum. That might end up putting too many bottom dwellers on the floor for you. I'd try more Ottos. Dwarf Platies are my preference for Platies, because they stay smaller and you can have more of them.

The regular danios should school with the long-finned...at least mine do. :) If you get either neons or cardinals you should get a group since they're schooling fish. I think a school of either could work as an addition.

I have both corys and otos...IME otos aren't really bottom fish per se (more on the walls etc) and certainly won't function as a bottom clean up crew the way corys do! I think you could get away with three corys if you wanted them. I don't know if there's a reason pandas would be different than any other cory...but all the species I've had have been fine with a group of at least 3.

I'd personally leave the otos at 3 unless you definitely want to have to supplement their food supply.

I've personally never been a platy or gourami person...

Thanks for the info on the danios. I think the neons or cardinals would be some great color for the tank. The reason I am interested in the panda cories is that they only get to 2" where some of the others get bigger. I think I have heard that the neons are touchy in a young tank. My tank has been up for 3 months and was wondering if that is too soon to put them in.

How long have your current fish been in there? I think as long as your water has been stable for awhile, you would be fine adding several neons.

The tank has been set up for 2 months and all is going well.
Ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 5
PH 8.2

Back
Top Bottom