Tumor?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lifeoffroad

Aquarium Advice FINatic
So I have had 3 zebra danios in my tank for a while. One of them got really fat I thought it was pregnant. Now it looks like it's got a tumor on it. I tried getting pictures but it's so hard on a small fish like that. It basically looks like a pimple. Right in front of the gill on the side of the body. I'll try post a picture if I can.

Flossie said:
Is it on the stomach area? It's white ??

It's more on the side right behind the full. Yes its white and before a couple pwcs, it had a bit of red.

Hmmm I don't think a tumor
Would have red but I'm not positive.. Any strange behavior from him or ur other fish?

HUKIT said:
I know they're small but any chance for a picture?

I can try. It not the size so much but the speed. Little guys are fast. What I meant to say in my post above is that it's behind the gills. I think it's gonna be an issue. It is turning his head in the opposite direction of the bump. Let me try and get a pic

Lifeoffroad said:
I can try. It not the size so much but the speed. Little guys are fast. What I meant to say in my post above is that it's behind the gills. I think it's gonna be an issue. It is turning his head in the opposite direction of the bump. Let me try and get a pic

Here they are. If you can view them on a computer it would turn out better. They are like 10 megapixel slr photos.

Attachments

• image-2384510082.jpg
    image-2384510082.jpg
    41.6 KB · Views: 102
  • image-978693941.jpg
    image-978693941.jpg
    39 KB · Views: 102
  • image-2587233477.jpg
    image-2587233477.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 99
Kinda looks like gill flukes to me... He looks a little bloated as well... I'm not positive though. Hukit is way more experienced than me. I'm sure he can give u a better answer... That looks pretty bad :(

Growths are either caused by bactiera or fungal infections with bactieral being more common, the three courses of action would be a medication like Fungus Clear by Jungle, try a bath of potassium permanganate(1-2 drops per gallon), or raise the temps along with daily water changes. Those are my recommdations in the order I would treat in.

HUKIT said:
Growths are either caused by bactiera or fungal infections with bactieral being more common, the three courses of action would be a medication like Fungus Clear by Jungle, try a bath of potassium permanganate(1-2 drops per gallon), or raise the temps along with daily water changes. Those are my recommdations in the order I would treat in.

Cool thanks. He's always been fat I think just a heavy eater.

Ok so I started the medication process and turned up the heat. The bump is getting bigger so much so that it is pushing the scales out similar to droupsy. I'm not sure he can recover. When should I start thinking uthenizing?

With bactiera infections like that there is a chance of rupture, the choice at this time to isolate the fish and treat immediately with a stronger medication like Paraguard, Kanaplex or Fungus Clear or wait till the sore ruptures then the clean the area daily with hydrogen peroxide with pristine water conditions and medication to prevent a secondary infection.

Last edited:
HUKIT said:
With bactiera infections like that there is a chance of rupture, the choice at this time to isolate the fish and treat immediately with a stronger medication like Paraguard, Kanaplex or Fungus Clear or wait till the sore ruptures then the clean the area daily with hydrogen peroxide with pristine water conditions and medication to prevent a secondary infection.

Oh crap I don't want rupture. If I don't have an extra tank for Isolation what can I do. And I am going on vacation starting Saturday.

Well unfortunately I had to let him go. He was not well at all. I think they were attacking him. At any rate it couldn't have felt good. Poor guy. Moment of silence at my house. I hate that I really do.

Lifeoffroad said:
Well unfortunately I had to let him go. He was not well at all. I think they were attacking him. At any rate it couldn't have felt good. Poor guy. Moment of silence at my house. I hate that I really do.

I'm really sorry :(

Back
Top Bottom