Turn the Light off at Night for a Fiddler?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

bullitzx2

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
well i read somewhere that fiddlers generally come out at night onto the beach and i was wondering should i turn off the light at night when i go to bed and flip it back on when i get up?

Absolutely. You really shouldn't leave the light on 24/7. Aside from potential algae problems, I believe animals need a day/need period. A light on all the time can be disorienting to them.

yeah, lights believe it or not can greatly alter human sleep patterns but we can sometimes get away with it, i can't imagine how much leaving a light on would affect a simpler minded creature.

i can't imagine your lights having a long lifespan either at 24/7

Mimic a day cycle. When the sun comes up, turn on the light. When the sun goes down, turn it off. The best way to do this is to connect the light to a timer and put it on a 10 - 12 hour on cycle. Mine come on at 8am and turn off at 8pm. You don't want to really go over a 12 hour light period.

Now that we are on the topic, with my new tank I purchased a coralife digital timer to go with the coralife light setup. Pure lazyness... at its best! This thing is so cool as well! Not only can you program when lights come on and off, you can have it trip to your moonlights, and even have different cycles for each day of the week. Anyways tons of control and easy to setup with the instructions.

Amazing, and for around twenty bucks its well worth the money.

Diablos said:
Now that we are on the topic, with my new tank I purchased a coralife digital timer to go with the coralife light setup. Pure lazyness... at its best! This thing is so cool as well! Not only can you program when lights come on and off, you can have it trip to your moonlights, and even have different cycles for each day of the week. Anyways tons of control and easy to setup with the instructions.

Amazing, and for around twenty bucks its well worth the money.

Which one? I got one about a year ago but it doesn't do all that.

I got this one.
st_lg_16354_FS24054P_single.jpg

Here's some other types.
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/Product/Prod_Display.cfm?pcatid=11379&N=2004+113351

yes defiantly need to turn the light on and off at the smae time each night, its ok if ya miss it by some, but I try to keep a routine going, same with my feedings, PWC other maintence procedures. I'm still trying to get it through to my buddy that for one you can't house two bala sharks ina 10 gallon for long, the light needs to be off at some point, and they need to be fed at least twice a day, and the water needs to be cleaned. he just through the fish in after I cycled the tank and then he hasn't done anything with it. its sad

hey, leoslizards, you want the digital display one...it's true, pretty sweet. question to diablos, though...do you leave your night lights on all night? I just leave them one while I'm up, and turn them off manually...I wonder what effect it has on plants and fish?

and 20 buck to that! I was going to pick one up today at big al's...$45! thank you canada...how I love overinflated prices!

Back
Top Bottom