turning off the filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mollymama

Aquarium Advice Regular
We have a 10 gallon tank with 1 molly. Over the past couple of weeks she has been getting stuck periodically agains the intake filter. I either gently pry her loose or unplug the filter, and she then swims freely, seeming to be ok the rest of the time. I realize this is a sign that maybe she's weak or sick, but I'm not noticing any signs of illness. She looks healthy, swims healthily, eats well, and teh water parameters are normal. Water temp is ok, too. We lost another fish due to stress from the tank cycling and this happened for a day or so before she died, but this one keeps on ticking. Just getting stuck. My solution has been to turn off the filter if I won't be around to rescue her for a while, like overnight or if we're going to be gone for several hours during the day.

Do you think she's sick? Is there any harm in unplugging the filter for several hours during the day/night? Is stopping the filtration process actually harmful?

TIA for any advice you can offer!

Fish normally don't get stuck in the filter, so that is definitely a bad thing. It wouldn't be bad...but it definitely isn't good. A lot of fish stores have products that you can place over the intake to make it create less suction, they are usually sold for fry tanks so that they fry don't get sucked into the filter

You could get something like this if you want.

Attachments

• filtermax32tn.jpg
    filtermax32tn.jpg
    24 KB · Views: 74
blert said:
You could possible wrap a small clean sponge around the intake?

Sure, a piece of the filter media, the blue and white kind will work.

I'm not crazy about the idea of turning off the filter. And it seems others aren't either from the fact they are focused on reducing the suction or protecting the fish from the intake. Turning off the filter occasionally for short periods of time is probably not a problem, but at some point you will start to damage/kill the beneficial bacteria that you grew by cycling the tank. Is there a chance your filter is just too big for the tank? (long shot, I know, but thought I should ask)

mfdrookie516 said:
Healthy fish don't get stuck on the filter. Rather than figuring out how to fix the filter, I'd be concentrating on fixing the fish.

I completely agree. Check the fish for abnormalities.

mfdrookie516 said:
Healthy fish don't get stuck on the filter. Rather than figuring out how to fix the filter, I'd be concentrating on fixing the fish.

Agree also, but until fish is better why not try and protect it?

thanks for the responses. To answer questions:

- the filter is the smallest type, for 5-15 gallons. It's WalMart brand I think, AquaTech.

- the fish isn't showing any symptoms of illness other than becoming plastered against the filter. No ich, and no scale abnormalties that I can tell. There were 2 days where she sat in a corner, and after that she started having issues w/ the filter. But her other actions are fine, and she's eating, swimming, etc. What other things might I look for?

- I may look for the sponge. I tried wrapping a cloth around the filter a week ago and she got stuck to the bottom, so then I wrapped it around the sides and bottom, and it restricted water movement. The filter couldn't suck up any water, so I removed it.

Good luck. I think she is sick. Do all you can to protect her. Is she eating?

Back
Top Bottom