Turning the lights on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MrBones

Aquarium Advice Regular
Should I turn the lights on right after planting my first plants in the aquarium or should I leave them off a while to let the plants settle in? Thx in advance...

Attachments

• image-101214342.jpg
    image-101214342.jpg
    148.5 KB · Views: 105
It doesn't really matter, but make sure they do get enough light per day. Depending on the type of plant and depth of water you may need more powerful lighting. There are some good LED sets available.

I've upgraded to a better bulb for the time being. An Aqua-Glo 30W 18000K 120 Lux.

Unfortunately, it does seem to raise the temperature in the tank by quite a few degrees.

Oh thank you. I actually started a thread in the getting started forum "Finally starting my 46 gal planted fresh water" with all my trials and tribulations. I also have a website with a blog at http://www.meynell.ca

But here's the latest picture.

Attachments

• image-2914624412.jpg
    image-2914624412.jpg
    176.1 KB · Views: 95
Yes val spirals and amazon sword in the corner and java fern on the rocks and wood. I'm going to plant some baby tears in the front and maybe a redder leafed plant or a polly wort (I think is the name) near the wood once these get established.

Thanks! I'm also looking for some java moss but my LAS can't order it so I have to find someone with it or see if I can find some out of town.

Yes val spirals and amazon sword in the corner and java fern on the rocks and wood. I'm going to plant some baby tears in the front and maybe a redder leafed plant or a polly wort (I think is the name) near the wood once these get established.

Oh I see :) for redder leafed plants the crypt Wendtii 'Red' would look nice...rotala magenta, that's all I have lol. And you mean pennywort?

Oh I see :) for redder leafed plants the crypt Wendtii 'Red' would look nice...rotala magenta, that's all I have lol. And you mean pennywort?

Ah that's it! I knew it was P(something) wort. I will look into those suggestions and see if they are available as well. Thanks for the suggestions!

Planted two more plants tonight. A small baby tears and a Copperleaf.

Attachments

• image-561946605.jpg
    image-561946605.jpg
    192.1 KB · Views: 72
For reasons I can't bare to disclose, I have my CO2 bubbling into my filter intake line. Would the CO2 disrupt my cycling process within my filter at all?

IMO I think your bulb spectrum is too high. 5,000-10,000 optimal. Tank looks nice!!!!

IMO I think your bulb spectrum is too high. 5,000-10,000 optimal. Tank looks nice!!!!

Really? I thought I was doing something better by upgrading to that bulb. Does everyone concur that my bulb is too high?

Thanks for the suggestion and the compliment also.

Please elaborate on your reasons. All of my research and calculations says that a 30W bulb is actually less than what would be optimal for a 174Litre tank, given the rule of thumb of 1W/2L of water. And the 18K was simply very pleasing to the eye.

Please elaborate on your reasons. All of my research and calculations says that a 30W bulb is actually less than what would be optimal for a 174Litre tank, given the rule of thumb of 1W/2L of water. And the 18K was simply very pleasing to the eye.

Here is the spectrum of the bulb I have now.

Attachments

• aqua-glo.jpg
    aqua-glo.jpg
    5.9 KB · Views: 36
I don't think it's too high. Tank is looking great and accepting your light so... If it ain't broke don't go messing with it IMO.

Back
Top Bottom