Turning the lights on?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I just think an 18,000k bulb is too bright. It has nothing to do with wattage. It's appearance. It was IMO that the 5000-10000k is more natural. Actually 5000-6700k I find optimal.

Attachments

• image-4283649354.jpg
    image-4283649354.jpg
    151 KB · Views: 53
18000K are generally speaking to blue for most people, speaking strictly in aesthetic terms. As far as plant growth goes though, you're fine.

EDIT: BY the way, your "Copperleaf" is named alternanthera reineckii

I just think an 18,000k bulb is too bright. It has nothing to do with wattage. It's appearance. It was IMO that the 5000-10000k is more natural. Actually 5000-6700k I find optimal.

Hey wasn't knocking ya, just thing my opinion as well... Hope it didn't come that way cause it wasn't my intentions.

Tank is killer by the way. You got a YouTube channel? If so PM me.

Oh I agree with about being more natural. It is easier on the eyes. That's why I like my marine land double brights. I use to have a 4 t5 HO fixture. Way too much for the look I was going for. I think I nailed it now though...

image-1963190552.jpg

I think 6500K is already looking too blue and distorting the colour of green plants. Having said that, the CRI of a tube will give you a better idea of how it will render colour than just the K temp. The amount of certain specific wavelengths of blue and red light will tell you how well plants will grow under a particular light.Those numbers escape me right now.Here is a link to a good treatise that explains it quite well. Lighting Spectrum and Photosythesis - Lighting - Aquatic Plant Central

Oh no I didn't think anyone was knocking me or the tank. I'm here for opinions and suggestions from all. I simply needed to know why you thought that, that's all.

As far as YouTube, no nothing there yet. I do have a blog going on my site though.
Http://www.meynell.ca

18000K are generally speaking to blue for most people, speaking strictly in aesthetic terms. As far as plant growth goes though, you're fine.

EDIT: BY the way, your "Copperleaf" is named alternanthera reineckii

Yes you're right but Copperleaf is easier to say under water. :)

Hey wasn't knocking ya, just thing my opinion as well... Hope it didn't come that way cause it wasn't my intentions.

Tank is killer by the way. You got a YouTube channel? If so PM me.

Oh I agree with about being more natural. It is easier on the eyes. That's why I like my marine land double brights. I use to have a 4 t5 HO fixture. Way too much for the look I was going for. I think I nailed it now though...

Very nice looking tank. I'm hoping to experiment with different lighting once everything is establish and growing well.

I think 6500K is already looking too blue and distorting the colour of green plants. Having said that, the CRI of a tube will give you a better idea of how it will render colour than just the K temp. The amount of certain specific wavelengths of blue and red light will tell you how well plants will grow under a particular light.Those numbers escape me right now.Here is a link to a good treatise that explains it quite well. Lighting Spectrum and Photosythesis - Lighting - Aquatic Plant Central

Yes that's the page I was reading regarding my bulb or choice there of.

Well I have life, besides the plants I mean. I found some baby snails crawling on the glass tonight. I'm going to leave them for now as I plan to get a few kuhli loaches and they might take care of them. Unless of course if they get too numerous or destructive in the mean time.

Here's a picture of one of them. And this one is by far the biggest. The others are very small.

Attachments

• image-1496417775.jpg
    image-1496417775.jpg
    115 KB · Views: 42
Back
Top Bottom