Turquoise rainbow odd colours

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

machotaco

Aquarium Advice Freak
Has this ever happened to anyone else?? The fish is perfectly fine but over the past two weeks his colours have gone all whack

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453502586.987744.jpg
Before

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1453502618.729813.jpg
Now (on the left)

Sent from Luca via magic

could be an ammonia burn, i've read that fish get dark patches when recovering from ammonia toxicity. If you had an ammonia spike you didn't notice?

If I had a ammonia spike I would be very surprised, but I can't rule it out. It's only on that one fish and also the tank has tons of filtration with about 7X per hour water turnover rate and weekly 50% water changes. I'll look into that some more though.

Sent from Luca via magic

Fish TB can also cause this, sadly. Mine all got black patches some time before they got sick and died. This tank was positive for fish TB.

Definitely my worst fear with rainbowfish. Currently hoping for the best but the moment I see a cyst on that fish it will be removed and humanely euthanized. That is unless anyone knows a way to cure TB?

Sent from Luca via magic

Unfortunately, there is no current cure for TB in fish. Best action is to immediately remove and euthanize any fish that shows any signs of it. Some won't get black spots, but will hide, not be overly interested in food, and generally act "different" than they normally do. They will get slower and slower, and then they will eventually die. I tried Kanamycin, Furan II, and both Maracyns before I found out I, myself, had contracted Fish TB, and then I knew why all my expense on meds had not helped my fish. Every one of them that got sick died. My tank that has this hideous disease is still up and running, and I have a few fish that, so far, have managed to not come down with it. But . . . they could at any time. It can take months, or sometimes even a year or so for them to come down with it. It's mysterious, and you never know when it will strike. It's insidious and nasty. I read that loaches are practically immune to it, so when I lose the rest of my fish in that tank, I think it will be an "all loach" tank.

Back
Top Bottom