Turtle care help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ilminded

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hi, I have a 20 gallon long I'm gonna convert into a turtle tank for local turtles. I plan on getting a basking light, UVB lamp, turtle dock and what not. The turtles around me are snappers, mud turtles and map turtles mostly. I will be catching them as babies and releasing them where I got them when they get too big for the tank. I was curious on filter recommendations. I plan on having Amazon sword grass in the tank to help with water pollution and feeding a diet guppies, pellets and insects.

Just FYI it is illegal in most states to catch turtles for pets, and it's also illegal to release pets into the wild in a few places. You could be transferring diseases like nobody's business. If you want a turtle, buy one from a petstore or breeder.

In my state it's legal depending on species. It can not be an endangered species or one of concern.

In my state it's legal depending on species. It can not be an endangered species or one of concern.

That's cool, just DO NOT release them. You can give them to a preserve but you can't just drop them off where you found them. In the aquarium they rely on you for food, if you reintroduce them to the wild they will surely be outcompeted. Also aquarium water is MUCH cleaner than any lake if its properly maintained. So any parasites or bacteria turtles in the lake may be immune to could become and issue for a domesticated turtle who was unable to build a tolerance. Food for thought, yay for catching, nay for releasing.

Sincerely,
RES lover

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom