Turtle cove (Turtle Habitat Build Thread)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jetajockey

come get me tang police!
Hey guys. We've got a couple of turtles (yellow belly and mississippi map) in a 55g currently but have been building a new habitat for them. It's still a work in progress but I figured I'd start documenting it here.

So basically thus far we built a frame that is shaped similar to a bowfront tank and wrapped it in plywood. Later today I am going to cut the top portion of the tank which is going to be another sheet of plywood with some pond liner stapled to it. This is going to be their play area. At the front center of the setup there will be a hole for them to go down into the tank (20H) whenever they want.
Dimensions are approximately 4x4x4
It's kind of hard to explain, but hopefully it'll make more sense as it progresses.

I'm also working on a 3d background to go along the back walls, as well as a waterfall leading into the main tank.

Stay tuned!

img_2786977_0_4a8383ae58a2edeeadaef68ff3a987ab.jpg

Am going to see how this will look like. We just got a hatchling stink pot musk turtle. He or she is a little shy. Just got it last Thursday and it seems to always hide in corners and not curious with the surroundings....but anyway, am excited to see how this comes out. :)

Sent from my N800 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So far that looks awesome. I think the corner build will give much more natural look and feel.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

So it's up, but not finished yet. I"m still working on a decent looking ramp as well as odds and ends. One issue I've come across so far is that Turdley the yellow belly slider can climb vertically up the waterfall, I found him nearly to the top of it the other day. So I need to put in something to block him from getting up there and wiping out. I also replaced all of pea gravel for larger gravel pieces that the turtles can't fit in their mouths. Here's a few pics, will take more at some point.
img_2822734_0_fbcee44e6e3d865ac490f5035d69dffa.jpg

img_2822734_1_bf6a26c662beebcb63edf6f68bdd146f.jpg

Its looking even better. Those are gonna be lucky turtles. Taking time to get everything right will make it better in the end. Keep us updated on progress. Looking awesome so far.

Sent from my C5170 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

That is an awesome job you did there. I wanted to do something similar in my finished basement but build my own plywood tank with plexi glass front. It was going to be a 500g though. After swing you setup is has me brainstorming mine again :)

Looks nice but when the turtles get larger in a couple years you will have to build a larger habitat or put them in a larger tank. I like the water fall it looks nice.

That is bad *** but like others said I'd have a lot lot more big aquarium and go all out if I did that but wow I'm sure you could fix that with an attached second maybe and have more land and it would turn out cool for two swimming areas

Is your turtle enjoying his new real estate.

What do fish say when they hit a wall? ...... Dam!

We ended up not liking how much space the setup was using, so we set them up outside. We're still working on it, but here's a preview.

Sent from Peabody's rabbit hole.

Attachments

• 1398392809859.jpg
    1398392809859.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 163
Back
Top Bottom