Turtle Help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Mud and musk turtles DO need a basking area. I don't know about snapping. I think you are supposed to offer one even though they rarely leave the water.

I agree with silva, all turtles should be offered a basking area, if they use it or not.

Musk turtles DO use basking areas, contrary to anyone saying otherwise, they may be shy but they do have to leave the water.

Most aquatic turtles use basking areas as a way to. Regulate their body temperature in order to fight off fungus and disease. As they are reptiles they have no way to sweat in order to heat up or cool down. In the wild this is a natural effect of sun light and cool and warm currents. Turtles need to be able to use a basking area if for some reason they need to sort their core temperature out. By having a basking area you are creating warm and cool areas for them to use. As well as a warm basking area, a cooler basking area should be offered too, as they may need to cool and dry at the same time.

Do lots of research before you buy any turtle, they will live for 50 years +, it's a lifetime responsibility so if you are not prepared to buy the proper equipment to give them the proper care , it's not worth the hassle and vets bills, because yes if a turtle gets unwell you should take them to a qualified vet, even mud/musk turtles.

Thanks for advice my tank couldnt hold a basking area so i wont. Get one now thanks anyway

Back
Top Bottom