Turtle shell

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Vanilla Magilla

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have a friend who found an empty turtle shell, he would like to put in in an aquarium. Would boiling it like drift wood be enough. There is nothing left on the inside.

Wow. Good question. I have no idea as I don't know what the makeup of turtle shells are. You could always use the vinegar test to determine if it will affect your water chemistry.

Drip a few drops of vinegar onto it. If it fizzes, don't put it into the aquarium. If it doesn't fizz, it shouldn't affect the water chemistry at all.

Perhaps someone else will have a better clue than I do.

The deal with the vinegar is that it would have the potental of rasing the PH and KH of the tank water. My guess is the shell is made of a simular substance as bones are made of.

Boiling it could damage the shell and make it come apart?

You could also soak it in a bleach/water solution and then make sure you rinse it real well. That would kill any bactera/parasites in the shell.

So there should be no real danger in putting it in the tank, after the soaking. It would make a cool home for my fish :D

i recently ordered an alligator skull for my aquarium w/ the same idea of making a little fish home. hasn't arrived yet though.

Back
Top Bottom