turtle won't eat help!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bricks34

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
So I bought a snapping turtle a couple days ago. I have his tank set up and he swims around a lot. But he won't eat. I had a few small feeder fish in the tank and on his basking dock (which he never goes on) there is a couple pellets a small price of bologna and a price of lettace. He hasn't touched it any advice??

I believe they can only eat underwater, like my red eared slider. Feeding bologna isn't a good idea. For people or animals. ;) I would recommend you join a turtle forum to learn more about your turtles habits and dietary needs.

That's not a good recommendation IMO. They shouldn't be fed processed food.

Ok well he has garden grown lettece, some earth worms, and a couple feeder fish in his tank right now and he still won't eat

Bricks34 said:
Ok well he has garden grown lettece, some earth worms, and a couple feeder fish in his tank right now and he still won't eat

What temperature is he at? Does he have something to hide behind ( without getting stuck ) ?? I would put a black background and sides on ( sides are temporary) till he feels safer.

I would remove the uneaten food before it fouls the water. Try one thing at a time. If he's in good shape he won't starve in a day or two. But of course you want him eating ASAP.

http://www.chelydra.org/snapping_turtle_food_feeding.html

This site has a lot of info about Snappers. The menus on the left are full of pages.

Is there enough air flowing through the tank, example do u have a lid?

I have the mesh lid and the lights are sitting on top of that. Plenty of air

First you should read up on turtles they only eat once or twice a week dont over feed them its bad. Wait a week then try. Try small turtle and amphibian bites they get soft fast and dosnt take but 1 or 2. I have soft shell turtle believe it or not their closely related. Read up on it there is plenty in info on it just look. Snappers are aggressive fish eating breed too so try live food such as feeder fry shrimp anything live and small not to bright or fast

Turtles eat very little i have a softshell believe it or not their closely related. do some research turtle's only eat once or twice a week. I feed it 2 turtle pellets 3 days a week. Filter the water, use sand or round gravel their prone to infection in unfiltered dirty water if the gravel cuts them i use pea gravel and he buries himself in it this is what they do in the wild. Give him some privacy you should do this with any new addition put them in there and leave them alone a couple of hour before you go peering in there

Back
Top Bottom