turtles with fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kathleen55

Aquarium Advice Freak
is there any type of turtle that can stay in a 10g and live with my fish? and stays small. thanks :)

No. To my knowledge there are no fully aquatic turtles. They all need both land and water, and the smallest I would keep any turtle in would be a 55 Gallon for something like a reeves, musk or map turtle. They generally reach about 6 inches and will eat fish.

is there any type of turtle that can stay in a 10g and live with my fish? and stays small. thanks :)
no,a while ago i researched smaller turtles,and the smallest i found were musk/mu turtles which get to about 5".and IME,a turtle willl kill every fish it can catch.i had an RES,and my mom put 40 minnows with him.they didnt last the night...our house smelled like a bait shop

oh okay thanks. and that looks cool shark bait do you have a crab? a crab would be interesting too...

oh okay thanks. and that looks cool shark bait do you have a crab? a crab would be interesting too...
most crabs they sell as freshwater are brackish,like red clawed crabs,fiddler crabs,etc

...and would be eaten by the turtle after it eats any fish it can catch.

It's illeagal in the US to sell aquatic turtles under 4". Aquatic turtles need atleast 10 gals of water to themselves per each inch of shell. Therefore, a legally purchased aquatic turtle needs minimum of 40 gals even as a starter tank :)

Most crabs sold in the pet stores either require brackish water, or are actually terrestrial crabs that need a land set up. The only truly aquatic freshwater crab that I know of is the thai micro crab. Hard to find and IME not very hardy.

That may be the law, but it is more than easy enough to get ahold of one. You can catch one, buy them online, or even right in a store (with a little tiny sign on the corner of the tank that says 'for scientific or educational purposes only'). They can be great pets if cared for properly and you know what you are getting in to. It is NOT illegal to own them as pets, only to sell or distribute them.

That's true, though I've never seen them for sale at a smaller size myself I'm sure they are, and you could certainly go out and catch one if you'd like. Still not any suitable for a 10 gal tank that I know of. :)

I have a yellow bellied slider myself and it lives with two goldfish and a pearl gourami. Although people say that it will attack them it hasn't and if you're starting off with a turtle if you raise it with them the turtle won't eat them. Also I got all the fish when I bought the tank 7ish months ago so I didn't have any option than to keep them or let them die other words I wouldn't have any of them.

They are illegal that little because they spread salmonella. You used to be able to buy them the size of dime (my dad says) but it's something about carrying that disease when they are young. Catch one in the wild if u want. My friend raised one in a tupperware last year.

Any size turtle whose water isn't kept clean can allow for salmonella to grow, just like any other reptile and many other things. The issue with them is they were so popular and bought for little kids. They weren't cared for, so the water was horrible and nasty, and kids love putting things in their mouth (their hands after touching the turtle, the turtle,etc.). It was also a horrible situation for the turtles, who were doomed to die in weeks to months after suffering in little plastic containers with a plastic palm tree and fed horrible food. It is a good law for the turtles as well as the kids.

Yes that's still true. The "rule" with turtle keeping is if you have a child under 5 then no turtle. Children as said above pretty much put anything and everything in their mouths.

Back
Top Bottom