two 10 gal filters on a 30 gal tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

datkidkevin

Aquarium Advice Activist
will two 10 gal filters work fine on a 30 gal tank 1 filer is a aqueon quietflow power filter 100gph and the other one is a whisper 2-10i 90 gph..??? i dont think it works but let me know what u guys think

My vote is no. Most filter ratings are higher than what they actually do. i have an ac300 on my 29g. I tent to filter minimun 10-15 gallons higher.

i would at least add oxygen ,,, with an airpunp and a hydro sponge,,, just a little cheap one will do fine ... if you add this you probably be fine ... my breeder tank have no filters just Hydro sponges and air pumps .. also DO NOT miss weekly water changes

That would be the least amount of filtration i would put on a 10g (i have an ac50 on one of my 10g's)... i'd recommend a filter rated for at least 50g on a 30g tank

will two 10 gal filters work fine on a 30 gal tank 1 filer is a aqueon quietflow power filter 100gph and the other one is a whisper 2-10i 90 gph..??? i dont think it works but let me know what u guys think

It would work if you don't have a heavy bioload.

I would recommend the Aqua Clear 50. It is a great filter and I have two them right now. I have two running on my 30g long (3ft tank), the one will stay on the 30g long the other is getting seeded for my 30g tall if I ever set it up. They are the best filters I have ever run, period.

+1 on the AC50 and overfiltering. I run an AC70 on a 29g and an AC30 and AC50 on a 20L. The AC50 is a recent addition, but the fish and shrimp appear happier and more active with the second filter on the tank.

+1 on the AC50 and overfiltering. I run an AC70 on a 29g and an AC30 and AC50 on a 20L. The AC50 is a recent addition, but the fish and shrimp appear happier and more active with the second filter on the tank.

Wow, that is some serious overkill for that 20g long. AC30 would be enough for a 20g, but an AC50 on top of that??

Wow, that is some serious overkill for that 20g long. AC30 would be enough for a 20g, but an AC50 on top of that??

Really its all about the water flow, the AC's do a really great job of filtering so thats good and they can allow you to change the waterflow too which is cool.

I agree that it's way overkill. I scored a used AC50 with sponge, carbon, and biomedia NIB for $20 at a fish swap. It's missing the cover, but for that price, I couldn't pass it up. I have an empty 20g (I think) that's screaming to be used. I'm trying to resist, but I figured I'd seed the AC50 while I'm resisting. I thought the 20L could use some more flow. It's a little choked with plants. The 29g with the AC70 certainly doesn't need any more water movement.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom