Two male guppies cornering new platy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guppygirl87

Aquarium Advice Regular
I have three male guppies and two of them have formed a friendship as top dogs of the tank. (so it seems)

Today I got 3 new platys. One of which is beat three times the size of the guppies and the guppies are chasing this one platy and cornering it and nipping at it. Why are they doing it? I kinda thought it might be to do with establishing status in the tank. What do you think?

My fish do that when a fish is weak and sick...?

It could be a dominance issue.
You can try putting lots of plants in the tank to break the line of sight of the guppies, so that the platy can hide and take a break. They should leave him alone after a while.

Oh, is the platy a male? I find my Endlers getting frisky with my small female platties!

I have a couple of plants, a bridge, lava moss coconut, and artificial wood with holes. I have a piece of real wood to go on soon I'm soaking it at the mo. so he/she has some hiding places.

I think this one is a male but I will post a pic tell me what u think.

Moved to FW and Brackish- General Discussion. This should help you get more replies.

I can't tell from those pictures. Google how to tell males apart from females. This is useful because there should be a 2:1 pr 3:1 ratio of females:males , and you might get babies.

Males have gonopodiums.

I would add any plants you have to decrease aggression. This should be resolved soon. If the platy gets really beat up you should move it elsewhere or return it.

gabysapha said:
I can't tell from those pictures. Google how to tell males apart from females. This is useful because there should be a 2:1 pr 3:1 ratio of females:males , and you might get babies.

Males have gonopodiums.

I would add any plants you have to decrease aggression. This should be resolved soon. If the platy gets really beat up you should move it elsewhere or return it.

Thanks. I will keep an eye on them. I looked online and I think this one is male and the other two female. So I'm in ratio if I'm right.

Males tend to be a lot (50%) smaller and have a clear protrusion where the anal fin should be. The females have a proper fin in this position. Males IMO tend to be more timid. Of all the species, these are easy to tell apart.

Back
Top Bottom