Two questions!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big_al01

Aquarium Advice Freak
Ive heard that i can use topsoil bought from a store with no nutrients or anything added as a substrate for my planted tank! I will have fish in it also so this brings up my second question! I will do regular water changes as normal but do i have to vacuum it? If i do wont all of the dirt substrate come up to? I need some opinions on using the topsoil though! I heard it safe and will save a bunch of money so i wont have to but the eco complete or other brands like it! So please help me out here!

I think all dirted tanks have the topsoil covered with a 11/2 to 2" layer of sand or fine gravel to hold it down and to seal it away from the water column. OS.

Alright, now would dirt be safe for the fish? I heard it can release harmful gases how can i prevent that? Sorry im just very nervous about dirting my aquarium

What you do is after you get the tank filled you let it sit for a few days and every day you take a long prong meat fork and poke around the substrate with it. This helps pop out the bubbles as they form. This is usually done for about a week. The topsoil you use must be all organic, meaning no fertilizers or water absorbing granules can be in it. If you are holding fish that need to go back in it pretty quick, you can do a 80% WC the next day after first filling. Wait about a hour before putting in the fish. Make sure water is dechlorinated and matching temperature. OS.

So after about a week of poking they wont form anymore or should i still continue to do so?

You can clean with the gravel vac. Just don't actually stick it in the gravel. Sway it just above the gravel to swirl up the debris and suck it out. OS.

Honestly here is the best way and yes I've done this more than 10 times. Compltely empty the tank, pick up a bag of miracle grow organics pitting mix (see pic) and add about 1 1/2 - 2" in the bottom but make sure you break up the large chunks. Flatten it out and make sure its level. Now add your prewashed sand or fine gravel (dont use normal gravel, its to large and the soil will pass through it) to the top. About 1" - 2" and level it out. Kind of push down on it so its a bit compacted (you will tank me later for that tip) now place a plate in the tank to aid in not splashing everything around and add water extremely slow. Once filled it should look really clear.
I have never poked the soil either and I don't get air bubbles at all escaping.
Miracle grow organics
ForumRunner_20140205_225336.jpg

Pic taken as soon as I added the water
ForumRunner_20140205_225538.jpg

Been running this one about 6-8 months
ForumRunner_20140205_225642.jpg

How do you clean the gravel without poking? So fish aren't in here and they don't dig around? I am lost on this one all I see is dirty water if I did this in either tank I have.

Now the miracle grow is safe for fish? Do you have fish in the tank?

Alright thanks everyone i think i will br dirting my tank soon!

Alright thanks everyone i think i will br dirting my tank soon!

Just follow those steps I posted and you will be safe. There can't be any water in the tank to start or it will not come out good at all, trust me I've tried it!

Back
Top Bottom