Two sick fish - banded kuhli loaches and fancy guppy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

callisto9

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Tank info:
  • 20G high planted tank.
  • Dose 1ml flourish comprehensive once a week.
  • Prime water conditioner.
  • Fish: seven glowlight tetras, three fancy guppies, two Japan blue guppies, one dwarf gourami, two peacock gudgeons, three nerite snails
  • 6 gallon WC one a week.
  • One full-spectrum 15W 8000K T8 bulb. on 10 hours a day.

Parameters (this was after *two* water changes - one last night, one tonight):
Amm: .50ppm
Nitrites: 0ppm
Nitrates: 30ppm

Did another 50% WC after that. Don't know what's causing the spike, but I have a feeling I'm over-feeding.

So, here are my problems:

1) My banded kuhli loaches are fading and swimming/thrashing around and struggling to breathe. This has been happening for the past two days. I have moved one to a spare tank, but I cannot catch the other one. You can see a video of the weird behavior here:
Possible sick banded kuhli loach and yellow fancy guppy - YouTube

I've had the kuhlis for about 10 days.

Here's what one looks like:
photo.JPG

2) My yellow fancy guppy has a red dot on him. It appears to be raised. I don't have a clue what this might be. I've had the guppy for about four months.
Here is a pic:
IMG_1788.jpg

This little guy's scales on the bottom of his body are slightly raised. Almost like when a bird puffs it's feathers. But it's very slight.

Any clues or advice would be great. I have to think maybe my parameters are to blame here?

Well, shoot, he's technically still alive. I don't know what to do. He's barely breathing. On his back. Not moving. Gills move occasionally if I touch him.

Any ideas?

Can anyone help? Should I euthanize the kuhli loach? He's just lying there...whiskers moving...on his side. :(

If he hasn't already passed and still in the same condition I would do the humane thing and put him down.

Nope, he's technically still alive. Lying on his side. Breathing. Doesn't seem to be struggling but will not move at all.

I'm reading about humane ways to euthanize. What's your recommendation?

Honestly I've never done it. I had a fish a few months ago that needed to be put to sleep and emailed an old friend and this is what she sent me:

Use baking soda, as it increases the carbon dioxide level in the tank to toxic levels, but it's method is to make the fish peacefully fall asleep quickly before it's respiration fails. Remove your fish from his tank to a holding container with enough room to swim around. Mix 3 tablespoons of baking soda to a quart of water and pour into the holding container. Your fish should quickly turn to his side and shortly thereafter his breathing should stop. Allow him to remain in the solution at least 10 minutes after the last sign of breathing.

I didn't try it but she swore it worked. Otherwise the only thing I can think of is to start a thread and ask what others have done.

Back
Top Bottom