Type of filter to use

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

What type of filter should I get?

• Basic sponge filter

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Canister

• Canister with UV

• Other (please reply in post)

• Total voters

havefun

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm a complete newbie when it comes to ponds but have decided I'd like to install one in our backyard. I'm trying to find all the info I can but have gotten stuck in a couple areas. One of those is the type of filter I should get. I'm planing somewhere between a 50-150 gal. What type of filter would you recommend? If there are more options than this let me know...

TIA

There is another type of filter I didn't mention. They are gravity fed external filters. Pros are when sized correctly will clean a pond well especially biologically. Cons are that they cannot be concealed like cannisters which can be partially buried. Also the return line on a pressurized cannister can be used for a waterfall.

Thanks for the input.
I've thought about it and layed out different designs/sizes and have made a couple changes. I've decided to go with a size that will be about 500 gals. At least thats what I think it will be. It's an irregular shape about 9 x 7 with a 1' plant shelf that is 1' deep. The center I am planning about 30" deep. Roger, you're from about the same area - is 30" deep enough to hold fish over the winter here?
So here is my gallon calc, tell me if I did it wrong:
(Avg. Length x Avg. Width x Avg. Depth x 7.0)
8.5 x 6 x 1.5 x 7 = 535.5g

Instead of the rigid I'm going to use the flexible liner and for a pump/filter I'm thinking the BioForce 1000 UVC with the Titan 800 pump.
Does that sound about right or am I missing something? Anything else I will need?
Thanks again!

Check out the Laguna pressure flow 700. Also an excellent filter. It is rated for up to 700 gallon ponds. Comes with 11 watt UV and pump for $229.00. It is common for manufacturers to overrate their filters.This filter size probably will give you better results. We get very cold winters here in the northeast and my commons have survived several winters in a pond 30" deep of course with the use of a de-icer. If you need a de-icer check out Yourpondstore.com for the brand Farm Innovators Ice chaser. Comes with a 3 year warranty.

I don't know if I chose wisely, but I picked a different type entirely for my new pond. It is a box with a grate at the top, two layers of sponge medium under that, and bioballs under that. It attaches to the intake of my subsersible pump in the bottom of my pond. I didn't want something big or expensive outside my pond. This is supposedly low-profile, but still seems to take up more space than I would like it to in the bottom of my pond. I have it pretty much camoflagued by an amazon sword planted next to it which grows over it.

Reef Monkey: The description sounds like a submersible filter. If you don't mind the frequent back breaking maintenance with these filters types, although it won't work well with a 500 gallon pond. If its less maintenance and better filtration you want, invest in an external pressurized cannister with UV sterilizer or an external gravity fed filter with UV. To enjoy your pond more than spending time cleaning it, I recommend these types of filters.

Thanks for the advice, piranha, I definitely will upgrade after a while, maybe next year, will look into the pros and cons of the two types you suggest. UV sterilizer, you think it's really necessary?

Well, I went with a much larger pond than I originally planned - it's about 500 gal. I got the Laguna pressure flow 1400, probably much more than what I need but for $35 I doubled my pond capacity over the 700 (should I decide to make it bigger sometime).
You can just see the top of it in my pics in the post "Should this algae stay or go". So far I am very happy with it, of course I don't have experience with others. Very easy to clean, takes me maybe 5 minutes tops once a week.
Although, yesterday as I was doing the cleaning I had my 2 year old holding the hose where the dirty water comes out. I was obviously more concerned that she kept the hose in the bucket, out of her mouth, etc. I forgot to turn the knob that forces the water out the backwash outlet instead of back into the pond. I ended up with a weeks worth of crud back in the pond...

Reef Monkey: I think it is a wise choice for at least two reasons. It will kill free floating algae which can cloud your water. Secondly it is an aid in maintaining better health for your fish by destroying parasites and bacteria that may cause disease and infection. I have been using one for 4 years and report that not once has my water been cloudy or fish ill. Have Fun: Good luck with the pond and new filtration. I think you've made an excellent choice for a filter. I'd like to hear how satisfied you are after it's running for a while.

Piranha:

Here is the filter I have now:

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=productDetail&productId=60026-45001-MF750&lpage=none

Seems to work ok for now, I'll probably upgrade to a pressurized canister filter next spring, and I am going to have a UV filter, too. I did some pond maintenance this morning before going into work, a partial water change- I had noticed a protein buildup on the water surface, and also clarity was going down, I believe from suspended algae. There were also leaves which had fallen to the bottom and were releasing tannins, making the water tea-colored. While I was doing that, I pulled up and opened the submersible filter. It is a little bit of a pain. I had used a polymer-based water clarifying additive a couple times a while back, and it said one might need to clean filter sponge or floss more frequently if using it. The bottom of the filter box had a sludge on the bottom, a mix of sand that had washed into the pond, probably that polymer with suspended solids, and other detritus/bacteria. Living in it were a few survivors of the giant brood of gulf coast toad tadpoles that had disappeared. I don't know if my fish (s. american cichlids and buenos aires tetras) had been eating all the rest or what. I also found some scarey-looking insect larvae in there.

RF- A typical submersible filter. When you do the upgrade you'll see the difference and will appreciate having a pond more. For more ease of maintenance get a UV cannister with a backwash valve. A good online store is AZPonds.com. Large selection of pond filters at very good prices. I bought a Cyprio filter/Titan pump from them.

Back
Top Bottom