Type of fish with apistogramma

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Please don't "go" anywhere..it's nice to be able to discuss things without anyone getting upset. I'm sorry, but I'm not a big fan of when people confuse newer hobbyists with the inch per gallon rule, and I did not provide anything close to a ridiculous example, so we just aren't on the same page. I stock rummies like I would any other tetra..no special category there for me. According to your philosophy a 29 gal can only house three platties, which according to my experience, if it's filtered and planted and maintained properly, more of those important stocking variables, can house more than that. We can agree to disagree because your stocking philosophy just doesn't fall in line with mine.

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression this was a newer aquarist I was trying to help educate and inform, so I'm not sure what place continuing a conversation on a topic you feel could be helpful for those more experienced has here.

For the OP instead of debating the weights of fish and going back and forth I will try to be more helpful...I will catch one of my neons and bag it and float the bag in with my rasboras and try to snap a pic of one right next to the tetra. That way you can judge for yourself what kind of size difference there is between the two if you don't have first hand experience with them. If you've only seen pics of chili rasboras online you can't grasp how small they are. I'm not a great photographer but I will try! :oops:

What I meant by saying that it is easier for experienced hobbyists to use is that it is easier for those with more experience to judge for those with less experience.

Also, yes, that is where the philosophy falls short :lol:. Perhaps twice the length for livebearers mentioned would be a better way to judge it.

Just out of curiousity, how old are your chili rasboras? Because most online sources say that they grow to an inch. Very curious, but I guess most of those are wrong.

Also, what I meant specifically about rummies is that they are very torpedo shaped, and although sometimes grow to 2 inches are actually quite "short" from top to bottom.

For a natural look pool filter sand is great. It's also cheap for big bags at your farmers supply store or hardware store. Your LFS will probably have a selection of different looks, the only downside of that is the price, but if there's one you really like it's not so bad for a smaller tank like that.

What kind of lighting do you have?

All of my chilis are about an inch long, that's accurate. They are actually a bit longer than an ember tetra, yet still much smaller because of the build. As I said it is an adult atleast 18 mos of age but can't say exactly how old.

The average adult neon is about 1.5", so not really much longer than the rasbora at all, it's just the build. As you can see from the last photo that shows the difference in their eye size. It's really all about body mass when you compare these two. Chili's are just little whispers of a fish really..smaller than an adult dwarf shrimp.

Idk what my lighting is i bought it as a set with the tank, hood with light, filter. I had to buy the heater seperate and its a heater thats flat and u just connect it it doesnt have a thermometer. But im thinking of buying a better filter because the one that came with the tank seems cheap and doesnt really work as i thought it would. Right now i have 2 tiger barbs and a sucker fish in the tank. Idk what to do with them :/

Questions:
1.What kind of filter Aqueon or AquaTech maybe?
2.Does it have two little oblong light bulbs under the hood?
3.How many watts is the heater?
4.Are you using a seperate thermometer?

You may want to try and take them back to the store from which your purchased them. Even if they will not refund you, they may take them off your hands. While not ideal, I'm guessing at this point, since you were learning along the way, they've probably already been exposed to a good deal of toxins, and just getting them out right away may be best instead of exploring other options.

You'll want to replace the incandescent bulbs with fluorescent ones before you invest in plants. They will be much more energy efficient, won't give off heat, and shed a much more appealing light. You can get CFL's from the regular light bulb section at any store. You want the "daylight" ones, you cannot go for the cheaper ones or they will be 2700k instead of 6500k and that won't work. GE makes a 14 watt that is perfect, look for the more compact size for smaller fixtures so it will fit in your aquarium fixture behind the splash guards. These bulbs will last a long time and allow you to grow a lot of the popular live plants. Some I would suggest for your set up are pennywort, wisteria, anacharis, java fern, windelov/lace java fern, anubias, java moss, and crypt wendtii. If you see others you like be sure to avoid impulse purchases and research first. Many sold at the chain stores are not fully aquatic and will quickly rot, and some are going to require high light so they will not work in this set up.

Kamek909 I just want to say I think it's superb how hard you are working at this to do it all correctly. A+. And seriously I'm not being condescending, I mean it.
Not every newbie tries as hard as you and asks so many questions to get informed!

You'll want to replace the incandescent bulbs with fluorescent ones before you invest in plants. They will be much more energy efficient, won't give off heat, and shed a much more appealing light. You can get CFL's from the regular light bulb section at any store. You want the "daylight" ones, you cannot go for the cheaper ones or they will be 2700k instead of 6500k and that won't work. GE makes a 14 watt that is perfect, look for the more compact size for smaller fixtures so it will fit in your aquarium fixture behind the splash guards. These bulbs will last a long time and allow you to grow a lot of the popular live plants. Some I would suggest for your set up are pennywort, wisteria, anacharis, java fern, windelov/lace java fern, anubias, java moss, and crypt wendtii. If you see others you like be sure to avoid impulse purchases and research first. Many sold at the chain stores are not fully aquatic and will quickly rot, and some are going to require high light so they will not work in this set up.

Ok thank you i wrote down the plants i will deffinatly get them and change the bulbs and i just got paid so even better lol

Kamek909 I just want to say I think it's superb how hard you are working at this to do it all correctly. A+. And seriously I'm not being condescending, I mean it.
Not every newbie tries as hard as you and asks so many questions to get informed!

Thank you! I really want to make this the right way

Back
Top Bottom