Type of rock

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

reign

Aquarium Advice Activist
Does anyone have any ideas what type of rock this might be and if its inert or not.. any help would be much appreciated.

Sent from my HTC One using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Oops forgot to attach

Attachments

• 1419269140626.jpg
    1419269140626.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 87
Did you try the vinegar test? Pour some in the rock, if it bubbles it's not safe. No idea what it's called.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I have not, it's an online sale, and they said they didn't know either.. :/ which kinda makes me hesitant.

When in doubt for an online sale, get something tried and true. With that said, look at Seiryu stones.

My guess would be a carbonate. Looks pretty fine grained. Possibly quartz but the soil on internal rock surfaces and smoother edges suggest carbonate. Hopefully we aren't betting anything :)

If the guy/gal selling can't scratch them with a knife or fork then they are going to be pretty stable.

I found some manten stone, just gunna go with that instead of risk it. Thanks :) made me realize if the guy doesnt know, or able to tell me, there's probably something wrong

Unfortunately (and for me slightly annoying) is that the rocks are not sold by correct geological names but some made up term that could be taken advantage of.

They still look nice lol

Back
Top Bottom