Type of Salt

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Dale_I

Aquarium Advice Freak
I went to the grocery store to get some salt for my tank and the Kosher salt listed an anti-caking agent in the ingrediant listing. They didn't have any pickling salt in a large enough container, but they did have some Ice Cream Salt that listed salt as the only ingrediant.

The box states "Crude Salt, Not For Food Use", "Rock Salt For Ice Cream & Cooling", and "Good For Cooling, Thawing, And Use In Ice Chests". The only thing that has me concerned is the "Not for Food Use".

Question: Since the only ingrediant is Salt, I'm guessing I'm OK... but would feel better if I got some confirmation from others (if possible). Anyone ever used this before?

I'm currently treating my tank (55 Gal Corner Bow) for Ich with heat (86 degrees) and salt (one tablespoon for each 5 Gal) and 50% PWC daily for the first three days, and every three days there after for 10 days.

your LFS should sell salt that is made for the aquarium trade. That's where i buy mine as there is no question that it is safe for aquarium use.

Diamond Crystal sells Kosher salt in a red box, which contains no additional ingredients.
7NGYV.jpg

Pizentios -- Thanks for the reply and I understand that I can purchase aquarium salt from just about any pet store. However, there are no additives or anything magical they do to make salt safe for use in aquariums. In fact, it is the lack of additives that make it acceptable for fish. Iodine, anti-caking agents, etc, etc, which help table salt last and make it better for humans can be toxic to fish.

The only reason I have purchased salt from the grocery store is that I only pay $1.99 for 4 lbs of salt (Kosher, Pickling, etc. NOT table salt) and the "Aquarium Salt" at the LFS is $7+. There is a lot of things that LFS do well, I just don't think salt is one of them.

I'll spend the extra $5 I save on fish and let the companies that package salt in boxes stating "Aquarium Safe" at a 250% mark-up alone.

Nothing wrong with the LFS salt, but nothing more beneficial in it either. I'm guessing the only reason the rock salt states "Not For Food Use" is because it has not been treated and was a little shocked that what I normally purchase contained an anti-caking agent. I'm just glad I read the ingredient listing.

The Diamond Crystal is similar to what I normally have purchased in the past. Unfortunately, we don't have that specific brand and the Kosher Salt I used to get now contains an anti-caking agent.

Is there any reason I should be concerned with normal Rock Salt? Like I said, the only ingredient listing is "Salt", and I'm only questioning it because it says "Not For Food Use" on the box...

Again, thanks for the reply!

the only reason why i suggested buying from your LFS was because it was easy to know that it was safe for aquarium use....don't get me wrong though saving a buck is a good thing too!

Absolutely. Knowing is always better than risking your fish, which is why I was even asking. Like I said, I think I'm OK as long as the only ingredient is salt. But, It is always better to be sure! :fish1:

After much reading, DO NOT use Non-Food Grade Salt in your tank. I'll post more in a bit, but right now I need to run down and grab some food grade salt for my water change.

Post back in a bit...

OK, I'm back and the water change has started...

The deal on Non-Food Grade Salt is impurities. Food grade salt goes through purification processes and has storage policies much different than non-food grade. Non-food grade will contain heavy metals, sediment, and chemicals that are removed from food grade salts. Things like copper, that should never be introduced into your tank.

As for storage, there are definite policies regarding any food grade substance that are missing from non-food grade items. Specifically, non-food grade salt can (as in might be) stored outside or uncovered. What that means is feces and urine may make it into the mix from a variety of vermin and birds. Again, maybe just trace elements, but not anything you would want to introduce in your tank.

I did happen to find the Diamond Crystal brand that Affordable Aquatic mentioned above at the second store I visited. Sure enough, Salt as the only ingredient and an aditional side benefit is that it's a flaked salt and not a rock or crystal salt, which means it dissolves in water more readily than the Aquatic Salt sold at your LFS.

Long story short... Google is a good thing!

Back
Top Bottom