Type of snail? & Apple/mystery questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Snailradel

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi there everyone,

I'm a long time lurker on this forum and new member. I and/or my family have had fish as long as I can remember. Recently I decided to introduce my daughter (4 years old) to the fascinating world of aquariums and we picked up a nice 10 gallon tank (I would love bigger but have to convince my wife first! Haha)

Anyway, I've recently developed an obsession with snails! Fascinating creatures! I had always avoided them as I was afraid that they would overrun my tank and I wouldn't know what to do with them (I don't have the heart to just squish defenceless creatures who did nothing wrong!)

So, I came upon the apple snail/mystery snail and since they are not a-sexual, my one snail isn't going to build an army hellbent on global domination.

Upon reading more about these snails I have learned there are many subclasses. I'm wondering if anybody out there can identify my little guy. I've snapped a few pictures.

I would also love to hear about others experiences with babies (they say the clutch has 200+ eggs!? How many actually hatch? What have you done with them etc) I am thinking of getting "Shelly" (my daughter named it) a friend.

Thanks in advance!

(Sorry if the pics didn't turn out well. Taken with my phone!)

Attachments

• aqPeK0u.jpg
    aqPeK0u.jpg
    181.5 KB · Views: 75
  • dlziX6i.jpg
    dlziX6i.jpg
    155.7 KB · Views: 81
It's a golden apple snail very nice! Love the name that's what I named my first snail lol

Thank you for the reply!

And thoughts on my baby questions? How many usually hatch from a clutch (on average?) I would love to get Shelly a friend but am worried that in no time I could have hundreds of these things! Then I wouldn't know what to do with them and would feel bad squashing the babies.

Any advice on baby snails would be appreciated.

I can't help sorry with breeding etc as i keep my boys and girls separated! But I'm sure they can have about 80, but if your not wanting babies you can just remove the egg sac which they leave above the water line, the sac is a pinky color and some people just put it in a zip lock bag and then into the freezer. Hope this helps a bit.

Very helpful! Thank you.

Do I dare ask how you identify the boys and girls? I haven't been able to find much online. As far as I know "Shelly" is a "Bob"

Here's a site that I'm a member on its applesnail.net and they have great diagrams lol that will help you tell the difference :)

No problem :) if you still can't find out the difference on applesnail.net then just let me know and I'll try to explain.

Back
Top Bottom