Types of Plecos

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Amicus

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi all,
In another post I was asked if I had a common pleco. I was sold a pleco that I was told was a BN. I bought it at 1" long and it is now about 2 1/2" long. There are no bristles developing around the snout or the nose. I don't think it's a common, how can you tell? I don't have a pic but it is dark with greyish spots the tips of the dorsal and tail fins are white. From the description can anyone offer some guidance? I would have a pic but it is very seclusive. I will try. I also could not find a picture on the net.
Thanks

Hi all,
In another post I was asked if I had a common pleco. I was sold a pleco that I was told was a BN. I bought it at 1" long and it is now about 2 1/2" long. There are no bristles developing around the snout or the nose. I don't think it's a common, how can you tell? I don't have a pic but it is dark with greyish spots the tips of the dorsal and tail fins are white. From the description can anyone offer some guidance. I would have a pic but it is very seclusive. I will try. I also could not find a picture on the net.
Thanks
Hi,
i have a Bristle nose, and it is VERY obvious. His/their bristles are very prominent.:) (By the way, mine is only @ an inch and a half.) They are all around the mouth, @ 12 ickle spikes..You would know if it was a BN.. Even me being a Newbie! x

Last edited:
I'm not sure but I've read that some don't grow bristles, specially females. But dnt take my word for I have 3 at the moment 2 albino 1 regular and none have shown whiskers.

I agree. Generally only the males will grow the bristles and sometimes only a center "plate" on its forehead. But neither will grow much until they reach 3 inches or so and reach sexual maturity. Some develop faster than others but its not unheard of to not see any telltale signs until fullly grown.

This is a common pleco

Attachments

• image-55930407.jpg
    image-55930407.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 66
  • image-2563800493.jpg
    image-2563800493.jpg
    62 KB · Views: 80
Back
Top Bottom