UGF Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

handb94

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello. I am new to this site and had a question. I'm not sure if this is the right section. No offense but I know people don't like UGFs and I don't want to hear your opinion on disliking it.....

I have a 30 gallon with an UGF setup. I cant get a picture of it so I will try to describe it to you. It has pvc posts about 3/4'' tall with a plexi base. The base has I think 1/4" or 1/8" holes drilled throughout. Above that is a layer of scotch brite pads (the green ones without the soap). Above that is about two inches of gravel, then finally about 2 inches of sand.

#1: The sand is play sand for like sandboxes for kids. After the fact I read that the sand was too fine for UGF, and I should use pool filter sand instead, since the grains are larger to let the water flow more freely. Is this correct?

#2: Do I need to use the sand at all? My pleco loves to dig trenches in the sand, and I don't know if I should leave sand in there for him or is it ok to have the gravel on top.

#3 I know the sand acts as a part of the filter process and would it detract from the filter process without it?

Thanks in advance. I appreciate the help.

My 55 tank came with a UGF but I avoided using it because of sand. The problem with sand is its so small and fine it clogs up the UGF as it settles beneath the filter in the tank...eventually that sand will sink its way down through your gravel and compact reallly tight in either the filter or on top of the scotchbrite pads...either way u will prob kill the filtration. Everything Ive read says dont use sand with UGF. Also play sand is very fine and very dirty, so rinse it well or it will cloud up the tank. I just bought some pool filter sand today. 50lb bag for 8 bucks at a pool supplies store. Ur pleco should be fine with the gravel i think. I would either lose the sand tho or change the style of filter

Thank you. The last time I cleaned it all out there was a lot of sand beneath the plexi. I think when I get home I will clean it all again and get rid the sand and add a power head to it. Are you running another filter with the UGF?

ok if i was to run a ugf i would do a RUGF. this uses power heads to put water down under the plates and up though the gravel. basically turns it into large bio filter.

i still dont like them since they take up take space plus its hard to hide the uptake tubes.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom