UGF's and substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dax29

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I like using a UGF along with HOB power filters. I believe the UGF gives me some added bio-filtration. I'm thinking on replacing my gravel with a sand-type substrate when I break down my tank for cleaning. I do not think the UGF will work if sand is poured over it. But, what if I cover the UGF plates with a nylon cloth mesh that won't allow the sand to pass through the holes in the plates? Even if that works, is the sand going to allow adequate filtration with smaller gaps between particles? If I add the powerheads, will that help pull water better and improve efficiency? I kinda think it will and many of you have stated that powerheads are the way to go with UGFs.

If you get pool filter sand you might have some luck since it is designed to filter water but even that will only allow a slow flow. Better yet how about very small gravel if you have to keep your UGF. I think most people around here don't reccomend them especially if you plan on live plants.

The UGF will not work with sand. Even if you put a mesh cover ontop of the plates, if the unit does not work, you will need to dig it out (lots of work with sand).

thanks

I'm ditching the UGF with sand idea. Thanks for the input.

thanks

Thanks again for the advice. I'm ditching the UGF and sand substrate idea. I may ditch the UGF altogether.

UGF's are great bio filters I would think about that. having a power head with a UGF provides more bio-filtration than most all HOB filters out there today. Think of it this way the entire bottom of your tank 2-3 inches thick. show me any HOB filter with that much area for nitrifying bacteria to grow and flourish.

If you are planning on not having plants then keep the UGF and use medium gravel.

If you are wanting to have alot of live plants then you might want to consider not using the powerhead and UGF.

although it does work ok with an airdrawn system.

UGF revisited

I could get plants that don't need a substrate and they should do okay with the UGF. Java fern, Anubias, etc... may work okay. You think?

Those should work great. You can also pot plants that need a substrate. They grow better and are easy to move around. Check out the planted tanks forum. UGF's are much maligned but if used correctly are great.

Back
Top Bottom