Uh... Is my female Platy Pregnant?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ichibuu

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have one female and one male platy. I think my female platy is pregnant :ermm: I've never had a pregnant fish before, so I was wondering if you guys can help?

20140701_155145.jpg
20140701_155155.jpg
20140701_155356.jpg

The light orange is the female, and the bright red orange is a male mickey platy. They always follow each other, which I think is adorable (y)

Is she on an early stage of pregnancy? Or is she just... chubby? (Sorry for the bad pictures, I can't seem to take a good one... They're always constantly moving!)
Thank you!

She could be pregnant. I would leave her alone then collect the fry after she gives birth if you want to raise them.

Sent from my iPad using Aquarium Advice

Yup. She's pregnant. Anytime a livebearer female is with a male, the female will become pregnant. She looks about 1 week pregnant. The gestation period (Time before the babies are born) tends to be anywhere from 3-5 weeks. Merely hours after she has given birth, she's ready to be pregnant again. If you don't want all the babies I would suggest having only males or only females.

If the babies are born (sometimes if the mother is stressed she will abort them), it's fine to leave them in the community tank. Some may be eaten but for the most part they will live. I have about 20 that are a month old, and another 20 that are a week old. They all live in a community tank.

To keep most of them alive make sure you have hiding spots for them. If you need any more info just ask :)

Yup. She's pregnant. Anytime a livebearer female is with a male, the female will become pregnant. She looks about 1 week pregnant. The gestation period (Time before the babies are born) tends to be anywhere from 3-5 weeks. Merely hours after she has given birth, she's ready to be pregnant again. If you don't want all the babies I would suggest having only males or only females.

If the babies are born (sometimes if the mother is stressed she will abort them), it's fine to leave them in the community tank. Some may be eaten but for the most part they will live. I have about 20 that are a month old, and another 20 that are a week old. They all live in a community tank.

To keep most of them alive make sure you have hiding spots for them. If you need any more info just ask :)

That's wonderful to hear! How exciting :dance: !!!

What can I do to prepare for this exciting event? I heard that for the first two days I shouldn't feed the frys, and shouldn't change the water until 1 month. I plan on getting a breeder's net (for the frys to stay in and for the mother to give birth in) or I can put them in an old fish tank (I have another 5 gallon). I'm afraid to leave them out in the community tank because what if the filter sucks them up? I also have 3 mollies, and they got huge mouths! I don't think my 20 gal is big enough for 10+ frys... Breeder's net or in a filterless 5 gal fish tank? Or should I risk it and leave them in the 20 gallon?

Leaving them in the 20 would give them more experience with possible danger and other fish in general, which is why I leave them in communities. However, I am a realist and I understand that some people wish to keep them 100% safe. I would do the 5 gallon tank, but with a filter. Put some fine meshed netting over the open parts of the filter that suck water in. Alternatives to this are weekly 100% water changes, sponge filters, undergravel filters, or just trying to babyproof a regular filter. The most preparation you need is a stable, safe water quality. Since the fry will be young and still developing it is best that the parameters are safe and sound.

I find that many people get hooked to fish breeding after their first successful (or failed) brood of fry. I would suggest more platies (They're my favorite to breed lol), swordtails, and guppies. On the path of egg layers, try White Cloud Tetras, and Convict cichlids. Convicts need a separate tank because they're aggressive. But it is worth it, they will take care of their eggs and fry, even chasing off fish 2-3 times the size of themselves. They also form life bonds with their partner and will only mate with them. If you want more community fish I'd say mollies, bristlenose plecos, endlers livebearers, and dwarf gourami's (Bubblenesters, google it)

Leaving them in the 20 would give them more experience with possible danger and other fish in general, which is why I leave them in communities. However, I am a realist and I understand that some people wish to keep them 100% safe. I would do the 5 gallon tank, but with a filter. Put some fine meshed netting over the open parts of the filter that suck water in. Alternatives to this are weekly 100% water changes, sponge filters, undergravel filters, or just trying to babyproof a regular filter. The most preparation you need is a stable, safe water quality. Since the fry will be young and still developing it is best that the parameters are safe and sound.

I find that many people get hooked to fish breeding after their first successful (or failed) brood of fry. I would suggest more platies (They're my favorite to breed lol), swordtails, and guppies. On the path of egg layers, try White Cloud Tetras, and Convict cichlids. Convicts need a separate tank because they're aggressive. But it is worth it, they will take care of their eggs and fry, even chasing off fish 2-3 times the size of themselves. They also form life bonds with their partner and will only mate with them. If you want more community fish I'd say mollies, bristlenose plecos, endlers livebearers, and dwarf gourami's (Bubblenesters, google it)

Hmmm... This is tough. I think I'll just heavily plant my 20 gallon, and baby proof the filter. Although... Would my 20 gallon be big enough for frys, 3 mollies, 2 corycatfish, and 2 platys? Sounds like overstocking my 20 gal if I do... Aaah. I'll think about it :blink:

Thank you so much! I can't wait for the little babies!

No Problem :) I don't think it'd be overstocked. Babies don't make as much waste or use as much oxygen as full sized fish. If you're concerned just do water changes more often.

I have never baby proofed my filters, some are just bound to end up in there, usually I check every day and scoop them back into the tank, I've never lost a baby to the filter.

I have never baby proofed my filters, some are just bound to end up in there, usually I check every day and scoop them back into the tank, I've never lost a baby to the filter.

Actually it's impossible to "know" you haven't lost any. Most of those that die within the filtration system are beaten/mauled to bits by the mechanical bits of the filter. It's safest to just cover it with a net.

This is true, as I didn't think they would be be mangled I usually just find them in the body of the filter.

Thanks so much for the replies!

I found an old 10 gallon tank, with working filter and heater! I'll place the little guys in there, and baby proof the filter. I plan on putting lots of live plants in the 10 gallon. Just wondering, when should I put the mother fish in a breeder's box? I've heard if I put them in too early they get stressed and abort their young. Is there a sign that she'll give birth?

Thanks again :)

Back
Top Bottom