Uh Oh!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Z

zacdl

OK So my anemonae died...

I think that got the ammonia on the rise, so my readings as of now are below.

My firefish also died, I dont understand why. It was laying beside the anemonae. Ideas on this one?

SG- 1.024
PH- 8.05
Nitrite- .5
Nitrate- Above 20 (Hard to tell)
Ammonia- 0.05
Phosphate- Trace
Calcium- 450

with the NO3 kinda high and the PH a little low it might be dinitrifying acid buildup ie water change needed.. are you using DSB or a fuge?

I did one yesterday when the anemonae was dead.

About a 15%.

Today I notice my Coral Beauty is dead as well! Whats happening?????? Did the anemonae poision the water? What should I do with the remaining stuff?

Sounds like anemone poisoning. Part of the risk of keeping one is the chance it might perish and do this... sorry for your misfortune :(

Several water changes to get you back to square one before adding anything else to the tank.

I am not adding anything else until this gets under control.

How much waterchanges should I keep doing? So far I am at about 60% in two days.

Oh yea, forgot to mention I did a big 40% change today and added some new activated carbon.

Just keeping changing until your water spec's return to normal.

Nitrite - 0
Nitrate - <10 (at least!)
Phosphate - 0
pH 8.2-8.4
Ammonia - 0
Salinity - 1.021-1.025 (preference whatever)

I had this happen to my tank, and i ended up changing about 90% of my water total before it went back to stable. Dont worry, just keep doin water changes

But not all at once right?

Im thinking I should wait til tomorrow and do maybe a 50%?

OK thanks. I havent fed the fish since I got the anemonae. I may try a little food tomorrow but not more than a peice per fish or so. Dont want any exess ammonia!

I will go to the LFS tomorrow and see what kind of nitrate/nitrite/ammonia reducer they have and if its anything I think I want I will buy it just in case this gets really bad.

anemonae.
Anemone :wink: Monitor your parameters. If for some reason they continue to deteriorate, increase the PWC's to 40-50% with well aged and aerated SW. Things should begin to settle down soon so long as they are given given proper attention.

I will go to the LFS tomorrow and see what kind of nitrate/nitrite/ammonia reducer they have

Be careful of additives. I've heard of them causing more problems. Then again, I'm sure folks have had success. I'd instead try to stick w/the natural approach, being the water changes.

Got a bunch of aged SW ready to go?

I am wanting to stick with the natural approach, and it seems like it is working. No dead fish today.

Nitrates are a little lower but Ammonia and Nitrites are still there (About the same level it looks like).

Fed the fish just a little bit today, not much though, the shrimp always get what they dont anyway.

I need to get more salt, this thing depeleted my salt (Normally I wouldve gotten some later, but I wasnt ready for a big tradgedy like this, I guess I need to have a little stash ready)

When I had a really bad ammo spike (massive feeding accident of '04) I ended up changing out 95g of the water in my 120. My ammo was so high that it was peaking after about 4m into the test. I didn't lose a single fish and didn't lose any significant amount of inverts either.

Good luck. We have 30g of RO/DI ready all the time and a spare bucket of salt around all the time now, just in case.

Anthony Calfo actually recommends large water changes. He said he does it regularly. He said he leaves enough water for the for the fish to stay submerged!

Just food for thought.

Back
Top Bottom