UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
stingrays4 said:
Hi i think its just called Thatcham Garden centre:ermm: I'll have a look when i drive past tomorrow:lol:. Sorry for the delay in answering,been a busy week:blink: Thanks for the info on the other shops Ickletas:)
Perhaps we should have our own shop tour:fish2:

I've found maidenhead aquatics in basingstoke, had no idea it was there, bonus!

Hi they are getting every where:ROFLMAO: Have you visited it yet:cool:
I can remember visiting the very first Maidenhead aquatics many many years ago,well impressed but didn't buy anything that day:facepalm:

I went today and got 3 ember tetras to start with, it is by far the best shop i have been to, they know what they're on about and are very helpful. Definately going there again! Saw my next tank too, better get saving :)

Hi guys i live in Chesterfield in Derbyshire! :) i have a Pets At Home just down the road but it's not that good. Staff aren't knowledgeable at all. :/

At last someone close to where I live!! I agree with what you said about the staff. But I can with a clear conscience recommend a Pets Warehouse in Swadlincote. Very smart and knowledgable people there. The only trouble is-- there's not too much of a stock to choose from unless you've a saltwater :)

Pets at home are rubbish here too last time i was there i saw a siamese fighter that they just got floating in the bag in the tank, dead! They seem to really cram the fish into the tanks too

Pets at home are rubbish here too last time i was there i saw a siamese fighter that they just got floating in the bag in the tank, dead! They seem to really cram the fish into the tanks too

I agree. The only trouble is - they still have the largest selection, at least in the place where I live. I would love to not to buy from them, but it's hard :) But at some point I made the decision not to put their water into my tank...

I have 2 pets at home , a maidenhead aquatics and 2 independent LFS within 20 minutes of me! I refuse to even go into either pets at home, maidenhead is ok for tropicals and overpriced equipment, but wouldn't even look at their marine section any more. One of the independents is great for equipment but not so much for fish and the other is amazing for fish but had very little equipment!
Need to find somewhere to move that has a decent LFS ;)

Could be that these problems with Pets at Home could be in certain areas. I have personally found that the one in our area has very helpful and friendly staff. They have gone out of their way to get spare test tubes, offered help with tanks(that weren't bought there) and will spend time discussing things with you, even when they are busy. Although I do think the tanks are too small.

I live in Plymouth and our pets at home is a disgrace dead fish in almost every tank every time I go in, I go to maidenhead aquatics they are much better even than the local lfs

Hi my local pets at Home is Ok,but wouldn't buy from there unless it was something exceptional,then i would quarantine it first! Yes a decent LFS is like gold dust:fish1: My local Maidenhead aquatics is great but well over priced for the dry goods! The owner said they do match online prices if proof of price is produced,and me mate still doesn't give me a discount:banghead:

stingrays4 said:
Hi my local pets at Home is Ok,but wouldn't buy from there unless it was something exceptional,then i would quarantine it first! Yes a decent LFS is like gold dust:fish1: My local Maidenhead aquatics is great but well over priced for the dry goods! The owner said they do match online prices if proof of price is produced,and me mate still doesn't give me a discount:banghead:

I agree my maidenhead aquatics said they wud match online aswell its the only place I will use, they are amazing plus my mate works there so I get discount

Hi your mates better than mine:lol: Mine only gives me discount if i moan and groan about it,which i do often:ROFLMAO: Seriously though his knowledge on fish is awesome!

Hey all- Almost central Londoner here! I went to the second largest maidenhead for my first stock, all still alive! And the largest maidenhead in the uk is just a half hour away! But I now go to a group of huts filled with exotic fish, including three axolotls! The thing that I don't like about chain stores is that the all share the same filtration, so if one tank is diseased it passes through to all of them. Also, they empty and restock every week :( bit sad...

stingrays4 said:
Hi your mates better than mine:lol: Mine only gives me discount if i moan and groan about it,which i do often:ROFLMAO: Seriously though his knowledge on fish is awesome!

At first he wouldn't but I moaned at him and then when he came to me for stuff he changed his minded ha ha

Hi lucky you:) I see me mate today at me local Maidenhead aquatics and yep he didin't give me discount AGAIN!:blink: He must be thinking of his commision:ROFLMAO:
Hi Phoebekatee, i also had this concern but me mate assures me that disease cannot spread through the system,as they can isolate each tank to treat if needed! As for changing there stock - not sure what you mean?

I was speaking to someone in charge and he was meaning it to sound positive, but he said that they get rid of all their stock (other than the rares like stingrays etc) every week incase of any illness, and bring in whole new batches. He was trying to insure me that they aren't too old or anything, but I think it is really sad that they just 'get rid' of old fish.

I've found that although the staff are nice their knowledge levels are really pathetic. They ask all these standard questions before filling in their little form although none of the questions are particularly relevant. Also, if you give a "wrong" answer it doesn't seem to make difference.

Although, my experience is just from a few branches around west Yorkshire.

Speaking of Pets At Home--
I went there yesterday to replenish some of the stock eaten by my Monster Shrimps, and on the way I took some water to test. I just tested it at home for Ammonia and Nitrites and it was as it should, but just wanted to make sure the pH and Nitrates levels are OK as well. Since they have the API testkit, little lady took the comprehensive test anyway, and imagine my surprise, when the Ammonia reading was around 5 and the Nitrite levels went off the chart!
Completely baffled I didn't get any fishes (just in case) but decided to test the water again at home, and - today - at different pet store. Both of them test confirmed my very first readings - everything's all right with water :confused:
I don't even want to know, what they did wrong anymore. Giving this kind of advice is unacceptable, to say the least :nono:

That was the final straw for me, and I don't think I'll get anything more from this store anymore - which is a shame, because they do have the widest choice and some rare fishes as wel... :(

Oh! And they did sold the Monster Shrimps to the couple that came after me, and when I tried to warn them the seller just shrugged me off and said: "They'll be all-right" :banghead:

Back
Top Bottom