UK?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Hi kites you new here

New to this forum yes, have been keeping fish for a few years, currently have a 4ft trop, but have now aquired a 6ft 6 tank and am in the process of collecting all the bits to get her up and running.

New to this forum yes, have been keeping fish for a few years, currently have a 4ft trop, but have now aquired a 6ft 6 tank and am in the process of collecting all the bits to get her up and running.

Wow nice size tank have you made your mind up as what your going to put in it

Wow nice size tank have you made your mind up as what your going to put in it

WIll be set up as a community tank , freshwater, will transfer the stock from the 4ft and then build up the shoals of tetras, red lines etc. Hope to add a pair of kribs and some more corys.

finding it quite hard to select more stock that I like and are compatible with water type round here, as it's fairly hard and not really want to go down the full chichlid route at the mo.

lots to think about

WIll be set up as a community tank , freshwater, will transfer the stock from the 4ft and then build up the shoals of tetras, red lines etc. Hope to add a pair of kribs and some more corys.

finding it quite hard to select more stock that I like and are compatible with water type round here, as it's fairly hard and not really want to go down the full chichlid route at the mo.

lots to think about

Why dont you soften your water just add some a fair bit of bog wood that should do the trick then you can have the fish you want
Their is alot to cichlids i.e like water turn over from the filter as its recommended you have a very high turn over 9 times an hour is good

Kites do what you feel you are happy with i have seen a large tank full of small fish like tetras and barbs so on and it looks cool my friend

Hi, just seen this post!! I'm from beside aberdeen in Scotland!! Nice to see other 'brits' here
I've got a 190 litre trogon tank which has only been up and running a week so still need help!! Please feel free to get in touch

Hi, just seen this post!! I'm from beside aberdeen in Scotland!! Nice to see other 'brits' here
I've got a 190 litre trogon tank which has only been up and running a week so still need help!! Please feel free to get in touch

Scottish if you need any help you only have to ask

Hi,
I had a death this afternoon. One of my zebra danios died unexpectedly. No sign of illness and the other 5 danios and 5 neons look fine. There is however an oil like substance on surface of water which I don't have a clue about! Any suggestions?

That don't sound good i would try to get the oil lick stuff of the top asap then do a large water change too 70 to 80% min just to make sure and then keep your eye on it , it might just be down to the food you are feeding them but that is a long shot

Scottishnewbie said:
Hi,
I had a death this afternoon. One of my zebra danios died unexpectedly. No sign of illness and the other 5 danios and 5 neons look fine. There is however an oil like substance on surface of water which I don't have a clue about! Any suggestions?

Yeah, I'd drag a piece of kitchen towel across the surface to absorb the oily stuff. Have you got a test kit? Do you know what your water parameters are?

I think I read on another similar thread that this could be protein sheen. Apparently all that is needed is surface agitation. Of course you may have already tried this and it's something else but just a thought...

Hi!
My fish are still alive!!!
Got a few more danios and neons today to make the numbers up to 10 of each. Also got a crown tail fighter! Will upload a pic later.

Do a 50% pwc to bring your nitrates down to >10ppm and you really are all good :D

Well I think, I'll defer to Eco on that one :D

Scottishnewbie said:
My readings are
Ph 6.6
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ammonia 0
Are they ok readings?

As long as the other 2 readings stay at 0 anything up to and including 40 is ok for nitrate.

I did a pwc before I got my new fish and the nitrate reading is somewhere between 0 and 10. The other ones are still the same.

Back
Top Bottom