Ulcers on neon tetra

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

clairelt

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi

Does anyone have any suggestions about the neon tetra with the ulcers? The one can't close his mouth and the other one has it on his chin. I'm just changing the water twice a week 50% to keep the nitrate levels down.

The ulcers are white and are full of clear liquid I think. They've had them about a month. I tried melafix but nothing happened.

Thanks
Claire x

Can possibily post pics so we can help id it? It sounds like it may be a bacterial infection. What are your water parameters?

Do you have access to fish meds where you live? Some countries are very strict in respect to meds.

Im not sure what meds you mean? I'm in the uk and got melafix from my fish shop so far.
Nitrate 25
Nitrite 0
Gh >7d
Kh 6 d
Ph 7, 2

Thanks! Unfortunately, the UK is very strict in respect to meds for fish- i believe you need a script to obtain anything unless you can find meds online. Ideally, i would treat with a gram-negative antibiotic (such as kanaplex or maracyn 2)- i would talk to your lfs to see what options you may have available to you for anti-bacterials beyond melafix (try myaxin). Alternately, you can spot treat the areas with hydrogen peroxide applied directly to the infections with a q-tip (treat daily). Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom