Ultra clear tank VS traditional tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I am huge fan of low iron tanks too. Normally the low iron tanks available on the market now are expensive. A 48gal tank would be 400-500 dollars without a stand(could be an extra 200 bucks), they generally come without a hood/lip. I hope in future I can sell them at about $120 for the 50 gal tank and $100 for the stand. So more and more people will afford those tanks.

Now I would pay $100 for a rimless 50g I can deal with that.

Caleb

Just to clarify.

My low iron tank bottom broke due to a slip from my hand (no rim to catch it) as I was walking it to the bath tub to rinse out and I broke the slip literally with my upper leg as I brought it up to catch the fall it slid off my leg and landed on the closed toilet lid (flexible plastic type you can't sit on very easily because it is so flexible.) - The sides are still perfect just won't hold water now since it is still has a big hole (I haven't fixed it):/.

My fault it broke for sure but it didn't bump so hard I would have thought it to break, so maybe a little more brittle than regular tanks.

Ohhhh, I thought it just fell out. Ma bad. Seriously though, those are the most beautiful tanks ever. I would save up just to afford one, I think it would be worth it definitely! I would need a package deal though, tank WITH lighting and options for filtration and possible stands. Or are they made to fit standard stand sizes? Do they come in 55 or 60gal? That would be the ultimate. You can really see how tanks are evolving. I've never had plants so lighting is a mystery to me. What type of lights are those that sit above the tank? Some seem to clip on the sides? Please direct me to a lighting for beginners thread if this is the wrong place. Thanks. :whistle:

Ohhhh, I thought it just fell out. Ma bad. Seriously though, those are the most beautiful tanks ever. I would save up just to afford one, I think it would be worth it definitely! I would need a package deal though, tank WITH lighting and options for filtration and possible stands. Or are they made to fit standard stand sizes? Do they come in 55 or 60gal? That would be the ultimate. You can really see how tanks are evolving. I've never had plants so lighting is a mystery to me. What type of lights are those that sit above the tank? Some seem to clip on the sides? Please direct me to a lighting for beginners thread if this is the wrong place. Thanks. :whistle:

I don't know that there is one all inclusive lighting for beginners thread. Freshwater lighting for plants is evolving and constantly changing.

As far as which lighting you can use with any particular tank, you need to determine if you are hanging the light or setting it on the tank. You really need to look at each light. Also hobbyists have devised ways to hang lamps that were made to sit on the tank and vice versa. So searching forums and googling is your friend.

By the way, a number of modern freshwater planted tank ights are usable on rimless tanks. You still need to be careful with an open top not to accidentally drop your light in. It's probably always a good idea to unplug your light when handling it over open water.

I've dropped my LED a number of time in my 10G while doing water change. It is wise to take the light out of sight when manipulating anything inside the tank.

Fortunately, the power adapter is external, and the LED itself is pretty waterproof.

Bringing this back from lighting to rimless low iron tanks and should they be all inclusive or not: While there is a place for each approach the serious hobbyist to whom low iron appeals, even at better prices, probably wants to choose and buy components for their set up separately.

Bringing this back from lighting to rimless low iron tanks and should they be all inclusive or not: While there is a place for each approach the serious hobbyist to whom low iron appeals, even at better prices, probably wants to choose and buy components for their set up separately.

Most serious water keepers would like to pick their own light, unless it was just so amazing everyone would want it. Say low to high light- plant K rating, adjustable with features and remote :)

Most serious water keepers would like to pick their own light, unless it was just so amazing everyone would want it. Say low to high light- plant K rating, adjustable with features and remote :)

Lol. A light so amazing everyone would want it -- haven't seen one of those yet. There are a few lights with followings, but that's about as good as it gets. Love the thought though. I can imagine the clamor as people tried to get their hands on it! Great thought pic to start my day with. Thanks.

Lol. A light so amazing everyone would want it -- haven't seen one of those yet. There are a few lights with followings, but that's about as good as it gets. Love the thought though. I can imagine the clamor as people tried to get their hands on it! Great thought pic to start my day with. Thanks.

If there was one, wouldn't you want it??? lol :brows: YES!!! So that might be something to strive for. After all we are thinking the awesome tank thing through. Start with low iron glass and end up with a perfect tank.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom