Ummm...is this Aptasia?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DaveMc

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Is this possibly Aptasia? Found it growing in my polyps and thought it was one of them till it has gotten bigger than they are.

img_2952174_0_da33a1c0ae364f4dd57387efde3abb4a.jpg

Looks like it to me (pretty hard to tell, try taking a more stable pic.)

Will try when I get home. Only camera I got is my cell phone lol...kinda crappy at times.

Cool. Btw, how is your porcelain? I just got one for the 3g :)

He is doing great....when I see him lolol. Love watching him put out his little fans when he is feeding. I just wish he would come out more in the day time. Maybe if I get another we will!

Oops! Sorry! I've been away from AA for a few days.

I agree with bribo, def aiptasia. You can get rid of it with different methods, some people have had success with different ones. I personally used lemon juice on one, and a peppermint shrimp I had set the other ones. Many people have had success with joes juice, aiptasia x, or a dose of kalkwasser.

With all of these, the trick is to inject them right in the mouth to really kill them. If even a cell of these buggers is left, it will regrow.

Good luck! Really nice feather duster btw, really adds a cool look to the tank! I'm thinking of getting one for the 3g, probably a small one. Where did you find your's? I've been searching for one for a while, can't find an LFS that has one...

Bribo, Dingus

thank you both very much. Will see if I can pick up some Aptasia X Or Joe's juice to get rid of it. I was just shocked because I have had that rock with the polyps for a couple months now and I swear it looked like a polyp when I bought it lol.

As for the feather duster, I got it from Reef Fish, Marine Fish, Coral, Aquarium Supplies & more - Saltwaterfish.com. They had them at a great price and it was a good size when it came in. Couldn't believe it.

Glad to help, Dave! A word of caution about the aiptasia/majano remover mentioned, it can be very easy to overdose a tank with a solution that isn't injected directly into the anemone. Also, although I'm not familiar with it, I would want to find out more about whether it could harm your condy (I hope it's doing well after the mishap with a powerhead!)

Glad to help, Dave! A word of caution about the aiptasia/majano remover mentioned, it can be very easy to overdose a tank with a solution that isn't injected directly into the anemone. Also, although I'm not familiar with it, I would want to find out more about whether it could harm your condy (I hope it's doing well after the mishap with a powerhead!)

I will be careful dingus lol. Right now it is far away from the condy...hasn't moved been in the same spot with the polyps since I got them. Just hoping my LFS has what I need to get rid of it.

As for the condy....looks like he is going to be ok :) He hass settled back in at the bottom of the tank and planted his foot in the sand and is wide open!

The tip of one of the tentacles looks a little weird but he is eating good and and his color is good.

I will be careful dingus lol. Right now it is far away from the condy...hasn't moved been in the same spot with the polyps since I got them. Just hoping my LFS has what I need to get rid of it.

As for the condy....looks like he is going to be ok :) He hass settled back in at the bottom of the tank and planted his foot in the sand and is wide open!

The tip of one of the tentacles looks a little weird but he is eating good and and his color is good.

Glad to hear about your condy! Btw, what I meant to say is watch out when using the aiptasia remover mentioned (only if you decide to use it, but IMO joes juice or something similar would be safer) I'm not sure but it seems like it might also harm your condy if used to treat the aptasia. No danger to your condy from the aiptasia, I don't think there would be any competition lol.

Glad to hear about your condy! Btw, what I meant to say is watch out when using the aiptasia remover mentioned (only if you decide to use it, but IMO joes juice or something similar would be safer) I'm not sure but it seems like it might also harm your condy if used to treat the aptasia. No danger to your condy from the aiptasia, I don't think there would be any competition lol.

Ohhh okay haha....was thinking a different way :lol:

Will check on the Joe's Juice first, if it is safer would rather go that way to make sure everything else in the tank is safe.

Maybe I should just move my condy over next to him and let him eat him :ROFLMAO:

I usually take the rock the aptasia is on and burn it off with a small torch. That is if the rock is removable and there is no coral close to it. In your case i would get aptasia x or joes juice that was already stated. Good luck with the removal!

Back
Top Bottom