Un-planted to planted...easiest way?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

apr28

Aquarium Advice Activist
I've had my 29g for almost a year and my fish are doing great but I regret not going with a planted tank.

I have an Aquaticlife T5 HO dual lamp that I currently use even though there are no plants. I bought the light expecting this transition one day. I also have the following extra bulbs: 10,000k and 6700K and a 650nm pink roseate.

What's the easiest and fastest way to go from un-planted to planted in the same tank? I would be changing everything including the substrate.

Get rid of the 10k and go with 2 6700k.

Not sure what else your asking

Sent from my SGH-I747M using Aquarium Advice mobile app

There's no need to start over just bc you want to go planted. I've gradually added plants and driftwood as I moved things around with water changes. I'm still in gravel and have no desire to change. There are lots of low demand plants that don't need special substrate, ferts, CO2, or lighting. I don't have any of this things but have some great looking anubias & lace type java fern.

If you want a high-tech tank, I'd consider a 2nd tank in your situation, either for the new setup, or to move your current fish to while you establish the current tank.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

It depens whats in there really, if u change alot of things at once, you may restart th cycling process. If nothing is in thre you could do a smaller version of mine with plant mix and pea gravel. Im putting some material between the soil and gravel that the plants can root thru, but stops soil from going everywhere.
Adjust the temp to the requiremnts of the plants. Theres a good chance of a new cycling at this point, but this is also a good way to start a fishless cycle.
Some people insist on co2 stuff, but if u have soil, light, and water , youve basically got what u need with co2 provided by fish and the filtration pump.

:blink:oh yeah! Keep the soil away. From the sides of thetank. That would be breeding algae on your glass:hide:

Back
Top Bottom