Undergravel filter help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Nitrites and Nitrates are still very high but Ammonia is going down, so I just did another 50% water change. Hopefully that will keep things moving along.

without fish in the tank there really is no need to do water changes when cycling. In fact it can actually prolong the process because the ammonia and nitrite is what the bacteria consume to reproduce.
IMO you should just let it ride for 10 days-2 weeks and by then you should ideally be seeing no ammonia, no nitrite and high nitrate as nitrate is the final product of the nitrogen cycle.
Then do the big water change, ~75%, add some more pure ammonia until you get a reading of about .25-.50 and then if your tank is cycled completely that should be 0 in 24 hours or less and nitrites should be 0.
You will always have some amount of nitrate in there and if you are going with live plants, a bit of nitrate is desirable. ;)

when it can process the ammonia in 24 hours or less, your good to add fish.

Okay awesome! Yeah, the tank has been running for about 12 days at this point. Should it be farther along in the cycle? Here's what I've gotImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452312135.592906.jpg

Great news your almost there!!![emoji1]
Your tank will turn out nice too.

Clem

ImageUploadedByAquarium Advice1452392363.732024.jpg
My uncle gave me this rock to put in my tank. I kind of want to lean it against the back to give fish a hiding spot. Is this rock safe for aquariums? I'm not really sure how to describe it. I would assume that he got it from a pet store but my aunt collects rocks so there's a good chance that this rock was found outside.

Put some vinegar on it. If it fizzes don't put it in.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

View attachment 283322
My uncle gave me this rock to put in my tank. I kind of want to lean it against the back to give fish a hiding spot. Is this rock safe for aquariums? I'm not really sure how to describe it. I would assume that he got it from a pet store but my aunt collects rocks so there's a good chance that this rock was found outside.

Scrub it under hot water using a bristle brush of some sort

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G800A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Okay I will definitely do that :)

I had to do that yesterday with a rock and my mom started yelling at me to get the rock out of the bathtub. Here's how big the rock is next to a ruler

Attachments

• 1452400002139.jpg
    1452400002139.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 36
I had to do that yesterday with a rock and my mom started yelling at me to get the rock out of the bathtub. Here's how big the rock is next to a ruler

I love the rock Fin, but don't break your tank and have a strong stand if your going to be adding lots weight. [emoji38] post pics of your build!!!

Clem

I love the rock Fin, but don't break your tank and have a strong stand if your going to be adding lots weight. [emoji38] post pics of your build!!!

Clem

Thanks, I won't break my tank and I'm still not quite sure if I'm gonna add it. I will post pics when I add it which will be when my shipment arrives once I order it

Back
Top Bottom