Unexpected dead fish.. Need advice please.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Cutie9991

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi, I'm Nina new to this website thing lol. Um I need some advice. My boyfriend has a 10 gallon tank and had 3 l fish idk exactly what kind though. Anyway he just got a sucker fish from Walmart. I believe they're called "plego's"? It's been about 3 days since he got it and it was fine with the other fish but today he looked in the tank and saw all 4 of the fish are dead. And 3 of the fish have white stuff on them except for one. Can anyone help my situation we're so confused.

Hi, I'm Nina new to this website thing lol. Um I need some advice. My boyfriend has a 10 gallon tank and had 3 l fish idk exactly what kind though. Anyway he just got a sucker fish from Walmart. I believe they're called "plego's"? It's been about 3 days since he got it and it was fine with the other fish but today he looked in the tank and saw all 4 of the fish are dead. And 3 of the fish have white stuff on them except for one. Can anyone help my situation we're so confused.
Well...a pic would help. If the white stuff was mostly white spots or dots, the fish could have died from a condition called ich. If it was fuzzy and mostly around the fins, it could have been fin fot. It's hard to diagnose with just your description. Plecos are not aggressive with fish other than territorial fights with it's own kind. Unless your boyfriend is eventually planning on getting a much larger tank, the pleco needs to go. Depending on the species, they can grow over a couple of feet long. Do you do water changes in your tank. And do you have a test kit to check levels of ammonia, nitrates, nitrites, and pH. And what kind if filter does the tank have, very importantly, how long has the tank been set up?

If 3 out of 4 fish had white stuff on them. I'm thinking the Pleco did not. Most likely fungus cause the tank wasn't cycled and the ammonia level got too high. There for If the pleco was added to the tank and other fish were sick already. And the pleco was shocked with the ammonia level in the tank. One more fish, more waste, more ammonia. I recommend he starts over. No fish until he researches "fish in cycle" or "how to cycle tank". Understand that first and go from there. Get a water test kit, Research fish. Some fish get huge. And some don't do well with others. Research diseases and illnesses for a heads up. Google is a wonderful thing. And some advice, do not listen to employees at fish stores. They are sales people. Hope things work out next time. Good luck!

Back
Top Bottom