Unexpected swordtail birth?!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Fishingforfish

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have no idea what to do! :(

I have a 20g tank that was given to me by my brother and it had 2 swordtails in it, both female. The tank was already cycled and everything so all I really had to do is feed them and do water changes (I have my own 10g that I'm currently cycling also)...I didn't think they would give birth because there were only 2 females in there, and I didn't see a gravid spot.

So today, after doing my usual water change for my 10g, I went over to the 20g and while I was doing a water change I saw something move. I moved the gravel and I saw a baby swordtail trying to hide.

Long story short, I was able to save 4. I don't know if they're doing well because they don't move unless I tap on the water. I have them in a plastic container right now and I have no idea what to do! I only have a 1.5g bowl that I can put them in, my 10g tank has platy in them and there isn't much hiding spots in either tanks (I was going to buy plants this week)..what should I do?! I'm planning to put them in the 1.5g bowl for now but there's no filtration or anything, and I don't know what to feed them! Please help! ): Im freaking out.

Maybe you could run to your local fish shop and pick up a floating breeder? Crush up normal flakes very finely. Feed often (3 times a day)

Maybe you could run to your local fish shop and pick up a floating breeder? Crush up normal flakes very finely. Feed often (3 times a day)

It's fine now, we were able to lend them to a lfs, which is surprising because they're still super tiny. :D It's a shame some of them got eaten though. :\

Back
Top Bottom