unhealthy discus

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gibson987

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello
I have a 55 gallon tank that has 5 small tetras, one 4 in pleco, and 2 discus 2 and 3inch (underground filter, with 175gph head, and bubble bar aeration). the smaller is new about 2 weeks ago, I floated his bag and added tank water to his bag water for about an hour before netting him and putting him in my tank. He began began hiding in cave, but since the other discus was bigger I figured he was just getting picked on. I noticed he was very dark with his fins down and stayed at the back of the tank in a cave, a few days ago he started going to the surface and floating at about a 45 degree angle. He would swim off as soon as I approached him, I have tried feeding him flake food and blood worm, he shows no interest, he would now and then swim around with the other discus, then go back to floating at the top on a 45 degree angle. I treated the whole tank for parasites using General Cure. When he didn't improve I decided to put him in a 10g quarantine tank, with a hanging filter and heater.

tank is at 86 degrees
looks like 0 for nitrate and nitrite
100KH
about 7.6 ph

I have used Melafix in his tank the last 3 days, on the second day I noticed I could see his slime coat in areas, or patches.

He doesn't seem to be improving much, I haven't seen him floating at the top in the quarantine tank, but still dark, fins clamped, and not eating, and getting pretty skinny.
What to do next?

He has no visible external signs such as fungus or holes, just a bit of mucus, dark and clamped fins. He also ofter jerks forward about an inch or so then back up again as if it was involuntary, but he is not flashing.

The tank has been set up for about 4 months, the other discus is doing great I have had him for 2 months, I do 1 or 2 25% water changes each week and vacuum each time.

I would appreciate any help. He's a long shot, but if I can help him I would like to.

Welcome to AA!!!!!

Was your fish eating when you first purchased it?

I'm certainly no expert when it comes to diseases, but I do know that stress can cause discus to go on a hunger strike. Also, if the fish has internal parasites, I believe you need to get it to eat a medicated food- the medications that go in the water would be used to treat external parasites.

Thank-you
I hadn't thought of that, I actually haven't seen him eat as of yet... is there anything I can do, or just hope he'll eat before he dies?

On the simplydiscus forum I read that prazi-pro is used to treat internal parasites. You should look it up.

I've used Prazi to treat gill flukes in discus and it worked great. I did not think you could treat internal parasites with it, but the folks on Simply are definitely more knowledgeable than I am in that regard.

severum mama said:
I've used Prazi to treat gill flukes in discus and it worked great. I did not think you could treat internal parasites with it, but the folks on Simply are definitely more knowledgeable than I am in that regard.

I was just reading a thread on there a couple days ago about it, I'm no pro in any sense of the word though....

Back
Top Bottom