Unhealthy silver dollar?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

aqauriumfan84

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have one silver dollar in my 220l tank which up until recently was behaving and eating normally. Yesterday it spent the whole day "pacing" the tank quickly from one end to the other constantly and now it seems to be less active and not eating. I have four angel fish and it seems to have a small chunk missing from it's dorsal fin (i know angels can be nippers) I am new to the hobby and was given all of my fish. I was just wondering if I am worrying unnecessarily or if I need to rehome it or treat it. Please help...

ForumRunner_20120708_120538.jpg

How long have you had it? I know they are a shoaling fish so don't like being kept singly, what are your water perameters and have you noticed any tiny white spots? (look like salt grains)

I moved the tank about 2 weeks ago and haven't tested the water since the move but before that about six months with no problems. All other fish in the tank are fine and apart from the dorsal fin there aren't any other signs of illness. I wouldn't have bought a single dollar myself as i dont think the tank is large enough for a schoal but I feel obliged to keep it as I inherited it with the tank, although most of the other tank mates are quite large and I'm contemplating rehoming most of them with a view to getting more, smaller species. I also didn't want to give away a sick fish. Do dollars like to have lots of cover in the tank?

Just looking now I'm noticing small speckles although they are more a shiny silver than white, I thought they were normal markings on a dollar.

Keep an eye on his fins and if any ick appears, water perameters are often a cause for odd behaviour so check as soon as you can and maybe a pwc in the meantime and as for the cover I would say it would help him feel more secure so it would be worth a try IMO

The shiny dots could possibly just be marking I can't really tell from the pics and have never owned them, maybe have a look at some others at your lfs next time your there, just keep an eye on it if it starts looking like he has been dusted with salt then treat for white spot but it's likely your angels will get it too if that is the case.

OK thanks for the help I'll keep an eye on him and get a testing kit for the water.

Back
Top Bottom