unidentified issue. should I put my tetra down?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

totalnewb

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hi all.
Have been trying to identify whatever has been on one of my tetras. To no avail. I don't know what to do, research has led me nowhere and I'm afraid for the rest of the community.

Quick summary:
Some white worm like looking thing appeared of the side of one of my tetras 4 or 5 days ago. Worm like but curled into almost a circle. Tetra eating, pooping acting normal (for a boring tetra.) However, white exaggerated misshapen underbelly.
Contemplated salt bath, was told that if parasitic, whole tank would require treatment thus held off in favor of more research. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places. Kind of looks like an exterior round worm.
Last night, it all but disappeared. Did it die? Did it fall off and spawn? Did it enter the tetras' body? Was it even a parasite?
These are the questions that plaque me. I'm worried for it and the rest of the community and am considering putting it down.
It's my first tank. It's been a battle. I haven't had to deal with any death yet.

sorry for the crappy pic, it's all I could manage without my real camera.

Would really appreciate any incite or advice.

29G planted.
6 danios, 8 cardinal tetras, 5 cherry barbs, 4 otos, 3 tiger nerites.
97% stock w adequate filtration.

Ammonia: 0
Nitrite: 0
Nitrate: 5 (it was at 40, with the above at 0, and someone suggested that that was too high .. so I cleaned everything :ermm:.)
PH: 7.2
KH: API 3
temp: 81.5
tds: 190
other: a bit of melafix still in tank due to stupid but loved long fin danio.

oh and my 17 year old cat tries to paw up at the glass in an attempt for dinner! :popcorn:

Sorry for the long windedness.
TN.

...ooops... here's the crappy pic...

Attachments

• fish 142.jpg
    fish 142.jpg
    124 KB · Views: 59
Go take a close look at your fish. Is there a red spot or sore where the thing was? Do you see anything strange on the rest of your fish? Anyone else having any issues? Dig around in the gravel a bit (move it around) and inspect your filter media and see if you see any worm like creatures anywhere.

If you do not find anything and everyone seems to be eating and acting normally, I would just keep a close eye on everyone and everything for now. We really need an ID of whatever it was in order to be able to make further suggestions. Keep us posted!

Back
Top Bottom