Unknown creature in tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Guardianangel69

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have axolotls in a 55g tank, and I recently added live plants. I keep finding snails, which I move to my African dwarf frog tank. Today ok noticed these small white things stuck to the glass and decor. They look like short pieces oh sewing thread, with five smaller thinner threads coming out of the tip. Any ideas?uploadfromtaptalk1407036963521.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407036972813.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407036982124.jpguploadfromtaptalk1407036990887.jpg

You are correct. Those are defiantly hydra. Do you have any mollies, snails, or gouramis in the tank? Of so you don't have to worry.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

No, it's am axolotl tank. Tank mates are a big no no. Will these things harm them?

No, it's am axolotl tank. Tank mates are a big no no. Will these things harm them?

Oops sorry did read the axolotl part. They shouldn't be any harm to them at all. They are way to big for the hydra to harm them. They won't harm any of your plants either. You could leave them in there and no harm should be done. Good luck!

Perfect, ill pick some up in rhe morning. Should I soak all the decor in hot water for a bit? There seems to be a bunch on my terra cotta pot.

Perfect, ill pick some up in rhe morning. Should I soak all the decor in hot water for a bit? There seems to be a bunch on my terra cotta pot.

Yes that would work. You could also take out your animals and bring the heat up to 104 degrees and that would kill most of the hydra in the tank. I'm not sure how it would affect any plants you have it the tank though.

Everything I have is cold water for the axies, but I could try as a last resort. Do they anchor themselves well or will I be able to vacuum a good portion of them out?

If you scrape them off first you can vacuum them off. Use a spatula or something similar to scrape them off.

If you have a place to move your axy to, you can also use salt to kill them too. Probably easier than heating to 104 degress (which will also probably destroy all your plants). Honestly, they are not really harmful. They can get big enough to snag fry, but your axy is not exactly small enough for that to be a concern. I suspect he may actually eat them.You can remove any you see by hand as well of course.

Last edited:
Also, the feeder minnows may eat them, but not for certain. Some fish eat them, and some fish ignore them. Doesn't hurt to try though, assuming your feeder fish are too big to be snagged and eaten. So, bigger than about half an inch.

How much salt? I salt the tank to prevent fungi during the summer. I have a tbsp per ,10 gallons now

Back
Top Bottom