Unknown fry in tank!!HELP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BalloonBellies

Aquarium Advice Regular
Today i was looking at my 12 gallon tank that has two balloon belly mollies and 3 neon tetras. I noticed one fry in the tank but it looks nothing like the images of the fry of the fish I have. It has stripes. Vertical black stripes like banding. I have two female mollies so that's impossible and the neon tetras don't have those markings. I'll post pictures of it when I see it again (if it doesn't get eaten). I have no clue where it came from and what it is

It's not impossible for it to be from the mollies. They could very well have been impregnated before you bought them. Fry don't always match the parents. Also, females can hold the male's sperm for long periods of time so they can have more than one batch without a male.

DragonFish71 said:
It's not impossible for it to be from the mollies. They could very well have been impregnated before you bought them. Fry don't always match the parents. Also, females can hold the male's sperm for long periods of time so they can have more than one batch without a male.

+1 for the great advice.

To only reiterate with experience, I kept 1 male and 2 female Mollys in my Bichir tank. Bichirs caught up with the male only. A 2 months later with the females, fry...

It could be one of the Molly's cuz the other mollys in the tank were pregnat. The one I bought doesnt look like it was pregnant. It doesn't look like any of the images online of Molly fry but you never know. It sits in the gravel but every day the mollies go around and peck the gravel for food so I don't think it's gonna survive enough to get big where I can identify it for sure :(

Back
Top Bottom