Unknown Infection / Parasite

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gainzster

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello,

Before I ask away, I've been on like 20 forums, hoping you guys see something you recognise, it's been going on for weeks and weeks.

So I've had a few fishes for a few years, zero problems.

Thought I'd upsize, bought two new fish, regret it, but it's done.

I added one fish to my main tank many weeks ago for a day before she got attacked, removed her, I noticed a few spots on my fish at the time, but over a few weeks they disappeared. This fish was quarantined for many weeks without any noticeable problems. I bought a second fish from the same place and placed her into my QT, and all looked well until a few weeks had gone by and she developed the same, pale spots that I saw on my fish.

Anyway long story short, it's covered her tail, it's also spread to my beloved Oranda I've had for 3 years, they are not even in the same tank, but I am assuming it's the same virus/parasite that was on the other fish as it's the same shop.

I need to find out what this is before it destroys my Orandas tail as it has with hers, I've asked for weeks, and I've been told it's flukes, I just don't think it is? Maybe I'm wrong, but I haven't seen any other picture online of this problem, not one fish picture. Others have stated carp pox, but carp pox looks extremely thick and large, so does Nodular/Lymph problems.

This is more like ich, but larger and only on the fins and tail, and it grows slightly larger over time.

I've got a video and a few pictures, hope it helps. I'll get some pictures of my Oranda, also today my Butterfly has more problems. I'm so bummed... For scale this fish is 7 inches.

Attachments

• 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 111
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 101
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    41.1 KB · Views: 109
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    46.5 KB · Views: 107
If your worried about the bumps, they are breeding nodules, not a disease
As far as the tail rot is concerned, it is simple injuries and simple tail rot. The blood supply to the tail fins is very weak and in fancy bred fish, even weaker. They get crushed, wounded, then bacteria and later fungus sets in. There are many things, antimicrobials/antiseptics, that will clear it up. ill make a small list
Furan 2
Methylene blue
Acriflavine

If your worried about the bumps, they are breeding nodules, not a disease
As far as the tail rot is concerned, it is simple injuries and simple tail rot. The blood supply to the tail fins is very weak and in fancy bred fish, even weaker. They get crushed, wounded, then bacteria and later fungus sets in. There are many things, antimicrobials/antiseptics, that will clear it up. ill make a small list
Furan 2
Methylene blue
Acriflavine

Hi Matt.

I don't have any tail rot, not sure what you're seeing? The black butterfly doesn't have tail rot, that's just the lighting, and indeed he does have breeding stars, i was showing the tiny white growth on his tail.

The other fish is a female, do you know what she has?

do they have white fungus stuff on their body as well/
its a parasite called costia if so. https://i.ytimg.com/vi/GRs3hRe0LeE/maxresdefault.jpg
alot of goldfish have those 'funsus' on their tails, its just wounds being infected, but nothing serious.
costia is a parasite that hurts their skin, then the fungus sets in the wounds

Hi Matt,

I have tons of HD video on it all.

The first 5 videos show two fish in two seperate tanks.

https://www.youtube.com/user/Gainzster

The gasping fish is also the fish that has these white blobs all over here tail and fins. The black butterfly is the one with the white patch on his tail.

honestly they look fine.
The tank is cloudy, from ammonia? Make sure your Bio filter is working
I dont really see anything wrong with them, the white "blotches" could be its natural coloration, or it could be a skin parasite that likes goldies called Costia.
The white "chunk" in its tail is just a minor wound and will heal on its own.
I would not worry about them they honestly look okay but i did not get a good look up close at the calico with skin patches.
https://search.yahoo.com/search?p=goldfish+costia+pictures&fr=yset_chr_cnewtab&type=default
PS get a sinking pellet, gulping food leads to SWIM bladder problems just putting that out there.

Back
Top Bottom