Unknown "things"

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
So one is this round thing with a circle of hairs. The other is a fan in in a groove that is gray in color. Any ideas? Sorry they are small and in live rock I am cycling with. Just noticed various worms and bugs so I hope I can add a fish soon enough

The round thingy is in the middle of the first picture and the fan thingy is in the other two near the centre of the picture hiding in a groove. Both seem to move the hairs around.

So one is this round thing with a circle of hairs. The other is a fan in in a groove that is gray in color. Any ideas? Sorry they are small and in live rock I am cycling with. Just noticed various worms and bugs so I hope I can add a fish soon enough

Little tube worms, related to feather dusters. They're everywhere in reef tanks, and I'm sure you'll see them pop up quickly.

They are introduced as hitchhikers, so not really an indication in terms of cycle. However, if you mean pods by "bugs" then that's a bigger step in terms of cycling.

What are your params? Tank size? Lbs of LR? Just interested what your tank specs are :)

I am cycling. No fish no coral. Was going to have the nitrate nitrite and such tested Friday before even considering a clown. And will need to purchase a kit for at home testing

I am cycling. No fish no coral. Was going to have the nitrate nitrite and such tested Friday before even considering a clown. And will need to purchase a kit for at home testing

How did you introduce ammonia?

Have you seen any spikes in the cycle yet? I recommend getting your test kits now just to see the cycle progress at an early stage.

Definitely no fish until you have done a wc after the cycle has finished, as I'm sure you know.

I was not aware I did introduce ammonia.

If you have not yet added ammonia that's ok - but you will need to do this to cycle your tank. Is this your first aquarium? I might have suggested starting with a a FW tank, as they are often much more forgiving and low maintenance when compared with reefs.

Adding ammonia is something you do in fresh and saltwater aquariums to establish the beneficial bacteria that act as your biofiltration system. The reason one uses live rock is that the rock possesses some of this bacteria.

To build up enough biofiltration, you need to introduce a large enough source of ammonia. In general, the idea is to get your ammonia up to about 5ppm, measuring with a suitable test kit.

During the cycle, you will eventually see a spike in nitrites as the ammonia you added begins to be converted by the beneficial bacteria (BB.) Then, the nitrites will slowly be converted into nitrates. To get rid of nitrates, you actually have to do a water change (and from then on, water changes are how you get rid of nitrate.)

To actually introduce ammonia, two common methods are to add pure ammonia, or to let a whole raw shrimp decompose in your aquarium until you have sufficient levels of ammonia.

Good luck!

I had a saltwater for a couple years prior and was told to let the rock sit a while and then add fish. I have had a freshwater tank for six months with ghost shrimp and some glo fish

Back
Top Bottom